• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota ignition help?

toyodaaddict

hey all, I really need some help my truck is an 84 toyota 22R (carb) it starts up fine in the morning i drive to where im going and when im ready to go it wont start. it cranks fine but no start,after sitting for an hour or so it starts up fine and it runs fine. ive tracked the problom to the igniton,no spark out of the coil.replaced coil no fix :mad: any ideas?

hey all, I really need some help my truck is an 84 toyota 22R (carb) it starts up fine in the morning i drive to where im going and when im ready to go it wont start. it cranks fine but no start,after sitting for an hour or so it starts up fine and it runs fine. ive tracked the problom to the igniton,no spark out of the coil.replaced coil no fix :mad: any ideas?

How did you determine no spark from the coil? Your truck electric fuel pump or mechanical?

Read details much:fawkdancesmiley: prolly safe to assume that its mechanical.

Toyota CARBURATED trucks have a known problem with the Igniter. It will cause an intermittent no start, just like you are describing.

The coils themselves almost never die

Patrick

My 79 has a factory electric pump know it all:fawkdancesmiley:

No mechanical pump? Weird.

Toyota CARBURATED trucks have a known problem with the Igniter. It will cause an intermittent no start, just like you are describing.

The coils themselves almost never die

Patrick

They do have an intermittent problem? My experience they just go bad and dont work at all. Never had one work on and off. Geez learn something new every day:D

They do have an intermittent problem? My experience they just go bad and dont work at all. Never had one work on and off. Geez learn something new every day:D

Yup, most of the time they simply crap out. Which is very common. Sometimes they will work off and on for a couple weeks or month before they totally fail.

It's so common I have a hard time keeping carburated igniters in stock. While I have probably 8 EFI igniters and coils.

Yup, most of the time they simply crap out. Which is very common. Sometimes they will work off and on for a couple weeks or month before they totally fail.

It's so common I have a hard time keeping carburated igniters in stock. While I have probably 8 EFI igniters and coils.

Interesting, but good to know! Haha I have about 4 or 5 efi igniters and prolly 15 or so carburated ones!:redneck:

yes my fuel pump is mechanical. i called toyota and they want $467.30 for a new ignitor :haha: i really wanted to pin point the problom before i buy any more parts i dont need but maybe ill try and find a used ignitor on the cheap. any more ideas keep em comin. oh and do you guys know why an ignitor might work fine to start the truck when its cold but not hot? just curious

Last edited:
yeah its deffinately the ignitor crapin out on ya, call 410 Auto wrecking in Buckley, they'll get you one for 75$ i went through five of them in my truck before i called it quits and went all MSD

heres what you do!! worked on my buddys rig every time(only if i did it tho :eeek:) he would sit sometimes for ever or call me...
when truck dont start pop the hood.
set hood rod in place
then smack the igniter box a couple times good,and hard( i used my hand but a couple times a BFH came in to action.
start truck,if no start repeat step 3 with a lil more strength..maybe hit a couple other areas tooo.
seriously this worked everytime!!! but like i said only if i did it!

yeah its deffinately the ignitor crapin out on ya, call 410 Auto wrecking in Buckley, they'll get you one for 75$ i went through five of them in my truck before i called it quits and went all MSD

so to go MSD what do i need? msd 6A box,msd coil and a tach adapter is ther anything else?

so to go MSD what do i need? msd 6A box,msd coil and a tach adapter is ther anything else?

Before you bite the bullet on MSD, google search "MSD ignition problems", you'll be overwhelmed...:yikes: Also, just got thru helpin' a buddy out---the box was toast (6 months old), and the pickup in the distributor took a **** 2 days later!!!:yikes:

i solved the problem. it wasnt the ignitor, it was the signal generator in the distributor.so ill be sticking with stock ignition. thanks for all the input