• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota on single axle trailer?

83yota1

I recently built a 4-place trailer for my quads. I used a narrowed mobile home axle. Its a heavy duty built trailer, not a backyard hack job. The deck is marine 3/4 ply and the frame is 3x6 c-channel. We haul 4 quads on it (i figure 2500+ lbs with gear and fuel) 7 hours to Florence,Or. at 75 mph with no problems. My question is do you think it would work for my Toyota. I figure its under 3K and with proper weight balance wouldn't be much more than the quads. Just haven't pulled a truck on a single axle trailer. Any comments good or bad on the idea?

Brent

no brakes, but hasn't been a problem with similar weight behind a 3/4ton 4x4 pickup

My personal opinion is. I wouldnt do it. Do you have access to more retired Mobile home axles? If so i'd say throw another axle under it. To be on the safe side.

I wouldn't, especially without brakes. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Just being honest...

snwbrdpunk16 said:
My personal opinion is. I wouldnt do it. Do you have access to more retired Mobile home axles? If so i'd say throw another axle under it. To be on the safe side.
And get brakes on BOTH axles, state law requires it.

That was my thought, but my father in law and I were arguing about it. Just the top heaviness of the Yota is enough to scare me. It would be nice though, I don't have access to a car trailer anymore and with all the crackdown on street-legalness I need one. The trailer just sits in the garage with quads on it!

I hauled my old 4runner down to Moab a couple years ago on a single axle trailer. Probably heavier than your truck, but same idea. Even with surge brakes on the trailer it was really squirrely at highway speeds. Couple white knuckle moments in the mountains was enough for me, I'd pay the money to rent a double axle rather than do that again.