• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota peeps

pokey

just me
So the kid popped a head gasket on his 4runner 3.0 any idea on what it would cost to get the heads done and timing belt as well ? Anyone south end familiar with this motor. I have no interest in taking time off to do it and if the price is right I will take care of it for him.

I have done it twice now, it is a lot of work compared to the 22re. I doubt it will be cheap. A pair of headers will solve the poorly designed exhaust problem that contributes to blown headgaskets in the back cylinder area where the crossover enters on the drivers side. Unfortunately they are a bit of money. My son put a pair on his 3.0 & it made a pretty good difference in performance.

Use only Toyota head gaskets whatever you choose to do...or who ever you choose to have it done...It's a bit more $ but the piece of mind goes a long way. Also make sure the gaskets aren't put in backwards or you will chase your tail trying to find out why it keeps getting hot with the stat in...Diagnosed one that had just been done, only to find this was the problem...owner sold the vehicle as is! :redneck:)

I have done it twice now, it is a lot of work compared to the 22re. I doubt it will be cheap. A pair of headers will solve the poorly designed exhaust problem that contributes to blown headgaskets in the back cylinder area where the crossover enters on the drivers side. Unfortunately they are a bit of money. My son put a pair on his 3.0 & it made a pretty good difference in performance.

Or the updated bellows style rear crossover pipe if you don't want to spring for the good stuff...:awesomework:

Use only Toyota head gaskets whatever you choose to do...or who ever you choose to have it done...It's a bit more $ but the piece of mind goes a long way. Also make sure the gaskets aren't put in backwards or you will chase your tail trying to find out why it keeps getting hot with the stat in...Diagnosed one that had just been done, only to find this was the problem...owner sold the vehicle as is! :redneck:)
yep went to the dealer today got all the parts . holy crap Toyota parts are made of gold:mad:

Does wrapping the crossover in header wrap help much?

It is more the fact that the crossover blows exhaust almost directly into the back cylinder on the drivers side. It was just a really poor design.

yep went to the dealer today got all the parts . holy crap Toyota parts are made of gold:mad:

They are for that engine anyway! I seem to remember everyone but Gavin warning you about that engine. Good thing you listened to him eh? :flipoff:

A friend has a really nice truck with every possible bell & whistle including the 3.ohshititblewupagain that I'm half tempted to buy since it's had dealer service it's whole life and is a solid truck. First thing I'd do is headers and re torque the heads. And if/when it grenade in the future I'd go straight to a 3.4. To hell with spending money on another 3 litre!

They are for that engine anyway! I seem to remember everyone but Gavin warning you about that engine. Good thing you listened to him eh? :flipoff:

Suck it:fawkdancesmiley:

I'm sure whoever pulls this 3.0 apart will find only highest quality EBay gasket set installed:redneck:

A friend has a really nice truck with every possible bell & whistle including the 3.ohshititblewupagain that I'm half tempted to buy since it's had dealer service it's whole life and is a solid truck. First thing I'd do is headers and re torque the heads. And if/when it grenade in the future I'd go straight to a 3.4. To hell with spending money on another 3 litre!

Yeah, cuz 4 cyl toys NEVER blow up or eat HG either?

Please blame aluminum heads, not engines you cant afford.

Yeah, cuz 4 cyl toys NEVER blow up or eat HG either?

Please blame aluminum heads, not engines you cant afford.

Of course R series blow head gaskets due to the aluminum head expanding and contracting at a different rate than the cast iron block. That's just basic mechanics. The problem is the 3 liter has/had a recall due to factory flaws in the head torque spec and gasket. Not a big deal if it was an easier engine to work on. Unfortunately everything about it is a pain in the **** and expensive.

It does work out well for me though. I can pick up blown up 3.0 4runners cheap all day long and make cash parting them to the mini truck guys and scrap the rest for a nice profit. :redneck:

Part out the 3.HO runner and get the boy into a nice reliable Cherocar. I thought you were one of us jeep fags anyway :fawkdancesmiley:

I thought you were supposed to call the dealer, have them check the vin to see if the recall work had been completed yet? Is that program no longer happening?

I thought you were supposed to call the dealer, have them check the vin to see if the recall work had been completed yet? Is that program no longer happening?
Do you think a dealer is going to fix a head gasket issue on a rig that is at least 20 years old? Not all 3.0 head gaskets were eligible for repair anyway.

It's worth a check with your Toyota Service dept....Just might still happen...remotely possible.
The other issue with the 3.0 is the original crossover is rigid, causing the head to be pulled at a different rate when heat-cycled in the rear compared to the front are of the head, causing premature failure of the HG at the rear. There is a Bellows/style crossover that allows for the free movement of the heads expanding/contracting...

Or there are a hundred threads out there to do the crossover pipe mod...Certainly another avenue to loook at.

Do you think a dealer is going to fix a head gasket issue on a rig that is at least 20 years old? Not all 3.0 head gaskets were eligible for repair anyway.

If I owned a 3.slow with a blown headgasket, I'd be on the phone with the dealer reading them my VIN number. I know of one guy that bought a rig, ran the VIN with the dealer and they said bring it in.