• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Solid Axle Vented Brake Upgrade

PaulSac

So I read a bunch of different threads and thought I had this figured out. I have an 83 axle and picked up 93 V6 calipers (4 large pistons) and 92 Landcruiser rotors. The rotors don't have the two holes to mount them to the hub. I was looking at the Toyota bible and it says 81 plus LC rotors. So I guess I needed to get FJ60 rotors and not FJ80 rotors? I swear I read somewhere to get the FJ80 rotors but of course I can't find that now so I must be confused. Anyone want to confirm I should pick up some say 88 FJ60 rotors?

Thanks Mark. Also does the stock birfields have 27 splines at the end where they come out of the spindle or are there ones with 30? I didn't know if only the chromo ones are 30? I got my axle used so I am hoping it was upgraded!

The "30 spline" cromos refers to the insidefof the birfield. You can Use your stock hubgears but its not recommended

I just upgraded to ifs wheel hubs and tacoma brakes on my rig but I was running solid axle hubs with vented rotors. The rotors should be resurfaced but theres plenty left. I'd let the rotors with the wheel hubs and bearings go for 30 and I can have my buddys shop resurface the rotors for another 20. Not sure where your at but I'm in Granite Falls just let me know if you want em.

Hi all,

PaulSac yes, you will need to use the 1980-89 Land Cruiser front rotors not the post-1990 versions.

BTW, have you been by TorFab in Mukilteo? He can hook you up with all the Land Cruiser brake parts that you need! :D

Regards,

Alan

So I read a bunch of different threads and thought I had this figured out. I have an 83 axle and picked up 93 V6 calipers (4 large pistons) and 92 Landcruiser rotors. The rotors don't have the two holes to mount them to the hub. I was looking at the Toyota bible and it says 81 plus LC rotors. So I guess I needed to get FJ60 rotors and not FJ80 rotors? I swear I read somewhere to get the FJ80 rotors but of course I can't find that now so I must be confused. Anyone want to confirm I should pick up some say 88 FJ60 rotors?

Hi all,

PaulSac yes, you will need to use the 1980-89 Land Cruiser front rotors not the post-1990 versions.

BTW, have you been by TorFab in Mukilteo? He can hook you up with all the Land Cruiser brake parts that you need! :D

Regards,

Alan

I haven't made it by there yet. I wanted to go talk with him because I have been on a search for a FJ80 for the wife for a long time. I want one that is a peach though.

So since my axle is an 83 I used 83 fj60 rotors and 93 pickup calipers. Keeping it in the 3's. I got it all done but even after bleeding my brakes over and over again it feels really spongy and if anything stops worse than before. I did like the factory service manual says, drivers rear, pass rear, pass front, drivers front, proportioning valve. Even though my prop valve is tied all the way up barely any fluid comes out of the rear bleeders. Also I didn't do the master cylinder upgrade yet because I figured my 4runner is an 86 and came with 4 piston calipers even though 2 were large and 2 small. Is the 4 large pistons enough to have to change the master to get them to work good. Right now I can not even close to lock my tires up when slamming the pedal.

So since my axle is an 83 I used 83 fj60 rotors and 93 pickup calipers. Keeping it in the 3's. I got it all done but even after bleeding my brakes over and over again it feels really spongy and if anything stops worse than before. I did like the factory service manual says, drivers rear, pass rear, pass front, drivers front, proportioning valve. Even though my prop valve is tied all the way up barely any fluid comes out of the rear bleeders. Also I didn't do the master cylinder upgrade yet because I figured my 4runner is an 86 and came with 4 piston calipers even though 2 were large and 2 small. Is the 4 large pistons enough to have to change the master to get them to work good. Right now I can not even close to lock my tires up when slamming the pedal.

93 v6 pickup calipers? Sounds like you still have air in your lines.

The v6 calipers have four large pistons. Also, yes you should upgrade the master to the 1" bore one and throw on the dual diaphragm booster. Easy bolt on upgrades.

The v6 calipers have four large pistons. Also, yes you should upgrade the master to the 1" bore one and throw on the dual diaphragm booster. Easy bolt on upgrades.

By 93 both 4cyl and V6 used the same 4 large piston calipers and that is what I have. I have looked into the master cylinder upgrade but figured mine should work good enough since the only difference is that 2 of the pistons are larger than stock. I tapped on the calipers to work out any stuck bubbles but am going to drive it around a little and try to bleed it again otherwise I will try the FJ80 master cylinder since I plan on a rear disk upgrade in the future.

I used FJ60 rotors and 2nd gen 4cly calipers. Works great on my 81 pickup with factory master.

Thats what would have been on the factory setup for my 86 when it was IFS. Only difference now is 2 small pistons are large. I'll look into the master cylinder upgrade next but I heard the dual diaphram booster is overkill and makes them too sensitive. Anyone know what year FJ80 booster is used for the upgrade. I figured 91 since that is the first year and would be most likely to not have the ABS. Marlin hasnt had one in stock forever and it doesnt say what year it is from.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/master-cylinder/big-bore-fj80-brake-master-cylinder

I want to stick with the Aisin one but there are several different ones for the FJ80. This is the one I think will work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350912016606?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

You can also add a 2lb Residual valve to the rear around where the original LSPV was at. It keeps a liitle pressure on the calipers to help with the soft feel.

By 93 both 4cyl and V6 used the same 4 large piston calipers and that is what I have. I have looked into the master cylinder upgrade but figured mine should work good enough since the only difference is that 2 of the pistons are larger than stock. I tapped on the calipers to work out any stuck bubbles but am going to drive it around a little and try to bleed it again otherwise I will try the FJ80 master cylinder since I plan on a rear disk upgrade in the future.

Interesting. I wasn't aware the 4bangers came with the full size pucks. Anywho, I got my dual diaphragm booster and v6, or full size puck calipers, off a 2nd gen v6 4Runner. Also, I have rear disc brake conversion with a manual proportion valve and fj80 master from All-Pro (https://www.allprooffroad.com/pickupbrakeupgrades/263)

I would say the brakes work very well. By no means "too sensitive" or "overkill" :awesomework:

With this "upgrade" were you hoping to have stronger brakes that stop better?

SO many are obsessed with Upgrading the brakes on their toyota. 99% of those folks have factory brakes that are NOT working properly.

You would be amazed at how nice they work with new calipers up front and new wheel cylinders out back and ACTUALLY ADJUSTING the rear brakes.

You have a rig with about 46HP and your worried about making it stop faster?

There is also a 1 1/16" Bore Master out there available...from the 1 ton cab/chassis rigs IIRC...:awesomework:

With this "upgrade" were you hoping to have stronger brakes that stop better?

SO many are obsessed with Upgrading the brakes on their toyota. 99% of those folks have factory brakes that are NOT working properly.

You would be amazed at how nice they work with new calipers up front and new wheel cylinders out back and ACTUALLY ADJUSTING the rear brakes.

You have a rig with about 46HP and your worried about making it stop faster?

Of course I wanted it to stop better Choppy! Mostly when I'm out on the trail and have to stop on a steep hill waiting for a Cherokee to get out of my way is when they start failing.

I did the rear brakes last year with new cylinders and springs and pads and adjusted them then. I'll check them out again and make sure they are good still. I think that prop valve is giving me trouble since I cant get the rear to bleed much fluid out.

BTW I have a header so my rig is actually closer to 48HP.