• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota to Atlas 2wd vs 4wd info

whiskeymakin

Ive got a wild hair to build a 2003+ v8 4runner, seems logical since its a 4 seater and the prices are not terrible from what little ive seen so far.
So from what ive gathered the v8 4runner has a a750 transmission.
Advance adapters has a kit https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...nsmission-to-atlas-transfer-case-adapter-kit/
That should work, looking at the install instructions it shows the 03+ 4runner as an option. Im surprised they all had the same transmission for the 4.0 and the 4.7

Next thing ive not found any info on is the difference between a 2wd version and the 4wd.
The 2wd 4runners are cheaper of course, so i was thinking maybe get lucky and stick an atlas behind a 2wd trans, married or divorced. For length id like it married, but im not sure if thats possible on the 2wd version.
Anybody have any experience with the a750?
Im sure the 2wd route will make it want to shift crazy since the ecu will not understand the speed in low range, but i can probably live with that.

Check out this build thread for a 4600 class Ultra4 racer.

I wasn't aware that 2wd v8 were an option, I thought the v8s were all AWD

you'd need an output shaft and tailhousing from a 4wd for the 2wd trans I believe.

I've never looked into the speed sensor adapting. I guess I assumed it wasn't a big deal since I've never seen it mentioned? Maybe the toyota trans speed sensor is in the trans case and reads on the trans output shaft and it doesn't matter what is behind it? (like a 2wd 4l80e) a quick google search makes it look that way
I can look under the wife's 4runner (2014 v6, manual shift tcase) when I get home.
EDIT:Looks correct, speed sensor on rear pass side of trans. No sensors on the t case outputs. I'm 99.9% sure Toyota doesn't use the wheel/abs sensors for the transmission.

Atlas install manual does mention the speedo adapter , but that must not be necessary for all the models. dunno. looks like some do have a speed sensor on the tail housing. manual trans maybe? or maybe the AWD has speed sensor on both tcase output shafts. https://storage.googleapis.com/advanceadapters-com/downloads/3006050.pdf

Slee offroad has built some toyotas with atlas.
Pretty sure Jonathan Cooper's Tundra had an atlas in it also.

Last edited:
10/4 i finally talked to a.a. about it this afternoon, they are not aware of the 2wd as an option. He did verify i would need a mechanical spedo tail on the atlas and an adapter cable to go from the "jeep" version to the toyota cable end, im thinking the speed needs to read from the rear most place so it knows how to shift.
From what i saw on a ihatemud thread the a750e/a750f are the same just different tails and shafts. The lexus lx/ land cruisers are also the same. V6/v8 all the same except different output shafts again.
So theres tons of these transmissions out there.
I did try to contact rocksolidtoys with no luck. On their site they offer a 2wd to 4x4 conversion, so that tells me there might be an easy way to make it work out. The ihatemud thread i mentioned was a lexus a750f to a 4runner a750f swap (4x4 to 4x4) he had to change output shafts by tearing down the trans completely, but it did all work out for that scenario.

The toyota transfer case adapter/tail extension comes out of the equation when using the atlas setup, so i believe the 2wd version should work with that tail removed and replace the output shaft with a short one....what im hoping to find out from rocksolidtoys is the 2wd shaft can simply be cut down and rock on.

Edit: i may need to verify the whole 2wd v8 thing. I was going by markeplace listings showing some of them as 2wd. You could be right on the fulltime awd.

10/4 i finally talked to a.a. about it this afternoon, they are not aware of the 2wd as an option. He did verify i would need a mechanical spedo tail on the atlas and an adapter cable to go from the "jeep" version to the toyota cable end, im thinking the speed needs to read from the rear most place so it knows how to shift.
From what i saw on a ihatemud thread the a750e/a750f are the same just different tails and shafts. The lexus lx/ land cruisers are also the same. V6/v8 all the same except different output shafts again.
So theres tons of these transmissions out there.
I did try to contact rocksolidtoys with no luck. On their site they offer a 2wd to 4x4 conversion, so that tells me there might be an easy way to make it work out. The ihatemud thread i mentioned was a lexus a750f to a 4runner a750f swap (4x4 to 4x4) he had to change output shafts by tearing down the trans completely, but it did all work out for that scenario.

The toyota transfer case adapter/tail extension comes out of the equation when using the atlas setup, so i believe the 2wd version should work with that tail removed and replace the output shaft with a short one....what im hoping to find out from rocksolidtoys is the 2wd shaft can simply be cut down and rock on.

Edit: i may need to verify the whole 2wd v8 thing. I was going by markeplace listings showing some of them as 2wd. You could be right on the fulltime awd.
My wife would gladly sell you a 2011 2wd SR5. It's not a v8 but it's a 2wd. Plenty enough dents on the outside to make a wheeler. Interior chock full of granola bar crumbs and other misc kid debris.

I would sell the 2003 with 160k for $100 for fellow HL

I bought it for the transfer case. Actuator was bad in mine. It came out of a wreck. Looks to be in good condition other than the dipstick is damaged.
There is a local junkyard in Knoxville called Lambert's pick a part that sells them for $250 with transfer case
They actually sell pretty cheap because they last.

Last edited:
I know this is off topic, but the 2005+ a750 is a sealed trans, no dipstick. I've heard the 03/04 did get a dipstick. Just something to think about that could get annoying for hardcore wheeling

Latest posts