• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Top Shift Gear Driven T-Case Noise

mike d

Finally got my project back on the road after a long couple years. Any ways Im running toyota t-case adapted to 4L60E. I really don't no to much about this t-case but maybe with what Im describing below some one might be able to point me in the right direction.

So here is my best description of what Im hearing. I have a big chunk of my floor cut out so i can hear the noise right were my T-case is when driving. If i go lets say over 35-40MPH when in 2 Wheel drive and let of the gas and coast, there is this metal grinding squeal noise. When i start to Accelerate it goes away. Its really becomes more violent if Im driving down the road @ 60 and left of the gas and coast. Not sure why it only does it when coasting? Im going to try and record the noise and put it up if that helps?

As far as the T-case, i got it a while back off this board. Not sure if the T-case is shot or what. Im going to rip into the case next weekend, anything impaticular i should look for besides broken teeth and stuff like that. Any help would be great.

Thanks
MJ

I had a t-case that made a noise that sounded similar, it was a spun bearing. It got progressively worse untill I tore it down and every bearing in both of my tcases was damaged from the bearing slurry. Its not worth it to buy a rebuild kit for 300$, just buy a clean used forward shift case and swap in your shift rails.

If you change the fluid and there is a mess on the drain plug then its worth tearing down. If the gear oil is clean and full, I wouldnt bother.