• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota transmission release bearing help

spurge

ok so first off im replacing a L52 with a W56.

the guy who i bought the W56 from said it was from a 89 but the throw out bearing that it came with looks like its from a 90-95 truck by looking at marlins pictures.

my question is can i run the throw out bearing from a 89 instead of the 90-95?

if not how can i tell the difference from the W56 a/b and the c/d/e.

i just put a early 90's throw out bearing on my l52 trans and works fine , so i cant imagine it would be any diff. most of the bearings are the same hight/thickness, just differ in arms an clips, which i used the later arm also.

I assume you have the cast iron hub with the bearing pressed on in your 89, and the bearing you got was the one piece unit bearing with the trans? If so, you can use either one, you just need to match the right clip(s) to the bearing used.

The cast iron hub with the press on bearing (older style up to 89) uses two clips, one on top one on the bottom. The one piece unit bearing (newer style 90+) uses one wire clip. They should be 100% interchangeable as long as you have the right clips for either style.

If you look at them side by side the dimensions work out to the same regardless of the bearing style used. For instance, there are even two brands of the one piece unit bearing that are built completely different, but the mounting tab height to engagement surface height works out to the exact same.

In conclusion, 81-95 4 or 6 cylinders can basically use the same bearing, either the hub with pressed bearing or the unit bearing - whichever one you want/have the right parts for.

Also, FWIW, some clutch kits come with the one piece bearing, and some come with the pressed on bearing. When I did the clutch in my girlfriends 87 we found when we took it apart that it had the one piece bearing in it, but we had bought the pressed on bearing. Since whoever did the clutch last time presumably tossed the hub, I had nothing to press the new bearing onto. A quick exchange for the later style bearing (looking it up for a 90 4Runner) at the parts store and we were in business. I only mention that because its possible the trans IS the year he said it is, but its possible a clutch kit that was put in the truck at one point had the newer style bearing with it.

~T.J.

Last edited:
Here, just Googled and found these images. New style is on the left (one piece unit bearing), old style is on the right (cast hub with pressed bearing):

4949039913_3a74d29e6b.jpg

And here you can see how the dimensions work out to the same from the tabs to the engagement surface:

4949631320_1e46b87874.jpg

Hope that helps!

~T.J.