• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota v6 3.0 engine noise

littleblue4runner

hey everyone

I have a 89 4runner and the engine is making this sound like its a electric motor or something like a wined up toy when the RPMs go up and at idle. what could it be?

thanks
craig

Could be the idler pulley for either the timing belt or A/C belt. Or even a loose belt

its sounds like its coming from the power steering but the fluid is good. i will play around with it tomorrow. could it be like a head gasket or valve cover thats leaky?

Disconnect the belt for power steering , hopefully it's not running the other important components like the water pump, alternator,crank . If it is find a smaller belt to bypass and eliminate the power steering easy way to figure out if thats the problem.
I know I got a tote full of belts from when my dad my grandfather died they seem to always come in handy. damn v6 are nightmares I have 2one is on its last legs and the other runs perfect:mad:

More than likely the timing belt's too tight..., or the large center idler bearing (which is also a part of the water neck up top) has gone south..remove ALL the accessory belts (water pump is driven by the timing belt, which is the only thing you really need to worry about when running without the other belts on...just don't run it for too long, keep an eye on the engine temp as the radiator fan is driven by an accessory belt...) one at a time if you like to try and isolate the noise......if you've removed all the belts and the noise is still there, it's behind the timing covers.