• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Welding steering arms

CHOP SHOP

I got to thinking? Why cant I weld my histeer arms to my knuckles?

I took a front end apart today by removing the bottom cap and holding the lower truniun bearing up with my fingers I slid the knuckle right off without removing the hysteer arm. :cheer:

So I figure I can tighten all the arm studs and weld the arms right on the knuckles.:eeek:

Why cant I ??:corn:

I have thought about doing this too. Make sure the shims are right and weld away. :cool:

I have done a few Dana 60s like this. They work great.

A few of my friends weld them. Havent had any problems with it except whatever the knuckles and arms are made out of does not make pretty welds!Good insurance on not breaking steering arm studs tho.

y dont u try bobbys 5th stud its real cheap and ezzy to do and u just have to drill a holl and weld a peace of angle to the highstear arm

y dont u try bobbys 5th stud its real cheap and ezzy to do and u just have to drill a holl and weld a peace of angle to the highstear arm

Ive done plenty of fifth studs holms. :D
And Bobbys is not cheap, its $50 for two small peices of angle iron and two nut/bolts.:eeek:

I got to thinking? Why cant I weld my histeer arms to my knuckles?

I took a front end apart today by removing the bottom cap and holding the lower truniun bearing up with my fingers I slid the knuckle right off without removing the hysteer arm. :cheer:

So I figure I can tighten all the arm studs and weld the arms right on the knuckles.:eeek:

Why cant I ??:corn:

Why not just perform regular maintenance on your rig? :awesomework:

Why not just perform regular maintenance on your rig? :awesomework:

Like what? Stop and tighten the arms every couple trails. I dont like to be "that guy" for something as stupid as steering arm studs.:rolleyes:

This just seemed to be way stronger in my opinion.:cool:

What kind of maintenance would prevent stud/arm failure? They need to be upgraded anyway you cut it, either bobby fifth, DIY fifth, or Six Shooters, something.:awesomework:

Like what? Stop and tighten the arms every couple trails. I dont like to be "that guy" for something as stupid as steering arm studs.:rolleyes:

This just seemed to be way stronger in my opinion.:cool:

What kind of maintenance would prevent stud/arm failure? They need to be upgraded anyway you cut it, either bobby fifth, DIY fifth, or Six Shooters, something.:awesomework:

It seems like just making sure they are tight will help make sure the arm stays attached. Here is a buddy we yanked out of Moon Rocks after his passenger steering studs left him holding his weiner :haha:

IMG_2251.jpg

:haha:

It seems like just making sure they are tight will help make sure the arm stays attached.

Not always. Even with locktited studs and torqued nuts I was going back over the steering arms a few times a day minimum. I don't have that problem anymore. :D

Last edited:
Double shear is the only way to go with a toyota 8". My old toy is the only toy I have ever seen with double shear steering arms top and bottom. Most of the time knuckle failure happens when the threads in the knuckle strip out. Of course studs break to thats why bigger studs, or better yet grade8 bolts come in. Drill and tap your knuckles. If that is to much work get some six hole knuckles but don't weld them down. If welded the preload on the trunions will be screwed up. Preload is the only thing keeping those tiny little trunions from explosion!!:corn:

I can understand pre run maintenance procedures, but that would get old pretty quick. :eeek:

Full hydro/42's are kind tough on those poor little studs. :D I bought ARP studs and planned on tacking them in place but traded the yota stuff away before I installed them so I included them with the axles. The plan of attack for me was to have a couple 1/4" key ways cut into the arms and knuckle. That should have solved the issue forever along with the 6 stud upgrade for my Marlin arms that I bought from 4x labs.

Not always. Even with locktited studs and torqued nuts I was going back over the steering arms a few times a day minimum. I don't have that problem anymore. :D

Hey White T locktite doesn't work unless the threads and studs are clean, and when I say clean I me f---ing clean like from the dealer. Might want to keep an eye on them. Metric nylock nuts work well for the studs but old beat up threads in the knuckle is just an ineviable fiasco.:redneck:

Hey White T locktite doesn't work unless the threads and studs are clean, and when I say clean I me f---ing clean like from the dealer. Might want to keep an eye on them. Metric nylock nuts work well for the studs but old beat up threads in the knuckle is just an ineviable fiasco.:redneck:

Oh yea, they have to be uber clean for it to work.. And they were... but I fixed that problem for good by replacing it with a 60 and bigger tires... :redneck: