• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota wiring question

mcbadwish

My brake light and charge light on the dash stay on whenever the ignition is on. Im thinking its a wire close to the fuse block under the hood.

I had the "charge" light staying on on my truck as well even after i was sure the alternator was good. Turned out the wire plug on the back of the alternator was not making full contact. I'm not saying that is the problem with yours, but just something to check...
If all the wires look to be in good shape, take your truck to shmucks (or another auto parts store/shop). I believe they will check your battery and alternator for free right there in the parking lot...

zig80toy said:
If all the wires look to be in good shape, take your truck to shmucks (or another auto parts store/shop). I believe they will check your battery and alternator for free right there in the parking lot...
And then try to sell you a third world rebuilt alternator that still has worn out brushes in it. Last time I took one in for them to test the :looser: dip tried to convince me that an analog meter can show both voltage and amperage at the same time. :wtf: :mad: :haha:

skrause said:
And then try to sell you a third world rebuilt alternator that still has worn out brushes in it. Last time I took one in for them to test the :looser: dip tried to convince me that an analog meter can show both voltage and amperage at the same time. :wtf: :mad: :haha:
shucks is full of high school reject idiots that dont know **** about ****, except how to bull **** the **** that come out of their mouths (there are a rare few that actually do know what they are talking about, but VERY RARE)

Toyoda said:
shucks is full of high school reject idiots that dont know **** about ****, except how to bull **** the **** that come out of their mouths (there are a rare few that actually do know what they are talking about, but VERY RARE)
I know that, that's why I shop at NAPA. Old geezers who know their **** and appreciate those of us who are still capable of wiping our own asses.

I realize the guys at shmucks are idiots. but it sounds like mcbadwish needs a place to start...

On a different note: This was a while ago, when i was in highschool. you guys might get a kick out of this. I prank called shmucks and said "i need an upper radiator hose for a 1974 VW bug". As the guy was looking on his comp i acted very impatient and told him i needed to know right away. After just a little while he told me he could not find one. While this was going on i acted even more upset that it was taking so long... I told him i was going to come down there and have a talk with his manager if he could not tell me if the part was in stock. At this time my friends listening in, started laughing and blew the whole thing. So i hung up.
Moral of the story, I can't believe the guy actually looked for the part. It doesn't exist. those old VW buys were air cooled.... No radiator!!!!

mcbadwish said:
It still charges just fine the thing is both the brake light and the charge light are on. Its a 85

Whats possable is a diode is out in the alt--enough to creat a charge but not enough to keep the circuit open (how it turns the alt lamp off)

I understand all this but the brake light is on too the one right below or on top of the charge light. And when I disconect the battery it stays running just fine.

mcbadwish said:
I understand all this but the brake light is on too the one right below or on top of the charge light.
Normal, it's saying it doesn't see a charge. How old is this alternator? My money (escrow check for $.02 canadian) is still on the brushes.

Latest posts