• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyotal Solid Axle Rebuild Problem

PaulSac

Hey guys, I just finished rebuilding my 83 Toyota front axle. Now when I put the transfer case in 4wd the front axle is very hard to turn. It will even hold the truck on a hill in neutral. If I have it in 2wd with the hubs locked its fine.

Here is what I did:

I rebuilt the axle following 4crawler.com walk through from the toyota bible.

I installed RCV chromolys (I did a little grinding in the knuckle for clearance)

I put in a v6 3rd with ARB (this came from the rear axle and was working fine there)

I used a marlin rebuild kit and replaced all the bearings

I'm not quite sure what the issue can be since it rolls fine with the hubs engaged in 2wd. The transfer case was working fine before. At first I thought maybe Randys messed up my new 3rd in the rear end and put in a different gear ratio but I jacked up the truck and turned the tire 1 revolution and counted the input shaft revolutions and they are the same front and back. Any one got any suggestions?

Either mismatched gears in the axles, or something is wrong in the t-case that's locking up in 4wd...Really the only two things that will cause a bind enough to hold a hill in neutral when 4wd is engaged...:awesomework:
You absolutely sure thew gears are the same? If you jack up the front and rear, and stick it in 4wd, will both ends turn?

Either mismatched gears in the axles, or something is wrong in the t-case that's locking up in 4wd...Really the only two things that will cause a bind enough to hold a hill in neutral when 4wd is engaged...:awesomework:
You absolutely sure thew gears are the same? If you jack up the front and rear, and stick it in 4wd, will both ends turn?

Every turn of the wheel is 2 5/8 turns of the shaft. They should be 5.29s. Would a 4:88 gear be a lot different like 2 turns to 1 wheel turn?

I will try to jack up both sides this weekend. That should tell me for sure.

4:88 will be not quite 2.5 turns per wheel, or just shy of 5 full turns of the pinion....5:29 will be just over 2.5 turns, or a hair over 5.25 turns of the pinion.

Just give it more gas and see where the "POP" comes from. That will be your answer.

Sounds like you have different ratios binding.

Jacked it up and put it in 4wd. Put chalk marks on tires and ground. Spun front driveshaft by hand and sure enough there is a difference of about 5 inches on my 36's. I turned the front one turn and the rear went further. So is the rear a 4:88 then?

Nevermind that last post. Since all tires were in the air and the diffs are open I think that messed with turning it. I put the passenger side on the ground and turned the rear wheel. After 10 turns both drivers front and rear ended in the same spot. Gear ratios are fine.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
More info....after realizing I could turn my wheels easy when I was testing it I put the truck down and it would roll in 4wd. I drove it forward fine but then I turned sharp and it slowed it down and when I straightened the wheel it was still bound up. After driving straight forward it would fix it again until I turned. Birfields must have some issue?

Hi all,

PaulSac, have you made any progress on the front axle diagnosis?

It sure sounds like a CV issue to me.

Regards,

Alan

More info....after realizing I could turn my wheels easy when I was testing it I put the truck down and it would roll in 4wd. I drove it forward fine but then I turned sharp and it slowed it down and when I straightened the wheel it was still bound up. After driving straight forward it would fix it again until I turned. Birfields must have some issue?
On what type of surface are you doing this test?

If you are doing it on dry pavement, it will bind in 4wd and just straightening the wheel might not be enough to free up the binding until you have driven it further.

It was on dry pavement. I hooked up the air to the lockers finally to see if there was some issue there. I engaged the front several times and it seems to work fine. No idea what the issue is. I have just been driving in 2wd until I feel like checking it out again. If it was the birfields I would think it would bind when the hubs were locked but transfer case in 2wd also?

Please go read this.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

And look at this

4wdturningandbindingexplained2_1_.jpg

Last edited:
Because you are binding the transfer case, ring/pinions, axle shafts, and drive lines. You should really go read it again. The front tires are traveling further than the rear tires when turning thus making the ratios different between the front and rear tires and binding **** up on a high traction surface like dry pavement.

Take it to some gravel or out in your yard. You will still feel resistance when turning but it won't bind up.

I understand the turning theory but this happens with the lockers open.
It doesn't matter if the lockers are locked or not.

ANY part time 4wd will bind on dry pavement when it is in 4wd and the hubs are locked. It makes no difference if it is bone stock or it has lockers or what ever.

Yah I guess I never used 4wd on the street unless it was snowing so I will go find some gravel. Thanks for the help guys.