• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toys for Tots article in the Birmingham News

dirthead

Fultondale, Alabama, off-road drivers contribute toys for one-day ride

Monday, December 10, 2007WAYNE MARTINNews staff writer

The city of Fultondale's Christmas for Kids program had grown to the point of being a little hard to manage.

But if downsizing were in the plans, those plans are having to be changed, and all because of one business in the city.

Off Road Connection, an off-road specialty shop, held a one-day ride for motorized off-road vehicles at Gray Rock Off Road Park in Mount Olive, with the admission charge being a toy to be donated by the Fultondale toy giveaway program.

This is the fourth year Off Road Connection has sponsored the charity ride, and for the fourth year the number of toys has grown.

"You wouldn't believe how much was collected," said Keith Bailey of Off Road Connection. "We have some of everything in the toy line, but I judge how successful we are by the number of bicycles. Maybe that's because I remember so well the Christmas I got my first bicycle."

This year's bicycle total was 53, 13 more than last year and 26 more than two years ago. The most popular gifts brought by riders Dec. 1 were remote control off-road vehicles.

"Some people just brought sacks of batteries, which is a great idea, but something many of us wouldn't have thought of," Bailey said.

Special requests were made for girls' toys.

"We always have more boys' toys," Bailey said, "But this year we got a lot of stuff for girls, too."

Just over 150 rigs, or four-wheel drive vehicles, were admitted to Gray Rock this year, and there are usually two people per rig. Bailey said drivers came from all over the Southeast for the one-day ride, including one from Daytona Beach.

The ride was held in plenty of time for toys to be distributed before Christmas by Fultondale city workers. Gifts are being given to children in the Fultondale, Gardendale and Mount Olive area. Families must qualify for the program through the city of Fultondale.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1197278258265900.xml&coll=2

Latest posts