• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

traction bar questions...

2pwrlftrs4u

NWW Meanie
which style do you use and why; the shackle style or slip and twist.

do you run them rear only or F/R?

was reading this topic in a thread on PBB and wanna know what the NWW crowd prefers

i am kind of leaning toward the slip and twist. i will be SOA w/YJ-XJ springs.

which style do you use and why; the shackle style or slip and twist.

do you run them rear only or F/R?

was reading this topic in a thread on PBB and wanna know what the NWW crowd prefers

i am kind of leaning toward the slip and twist. i will be SOA w/YJ-XJ springs.

shackle is more common and easier to make

shackle style with tractor links and bushings. I need to add a second top bar but this was a last minute quick fix to run busy.

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

One thing to think of, If you do the slip and twist the dom wont always be right on the money(diameter wise) so it may not have a snug fit right from the supplier.

Shackle... Slip and twist break way more often.

Run them front and rear if you have the room.

was that you ftoy that had a tbar that had the bushing before and after the axle tube? instead of under and over? I liked that design, lots of twist without putting it all in the shackle end.

I did the slip/twist style---haven't had an issue with it breaking,although it needs to be longer....was a quick fix to save my rear springs (went thru two sets in 3 trips out prior to the T-bar); I'm actually considering modding it to make it a shackle setup & see how it works...

Just made this one a few weeks back for my dads rig. Shackle and bushing. Kept it at the same angle as the d-shaft too. Nearly completely stops axle wrap with 3/4 lip.

1228441224.jpg

1228441223.jpg

Last edited:
I am thinking of doing the same, I am glad someone posted some pics for some ideas. One thing some one told me was to get it as close to center as you can, and also, with the main long bar on bottom, it acts as a skid for the driveline sort of. something to think about...:;

Just made this one a few weeks back for my dads rig. Shackle and bushing. Kept it at the same angle as the d-shaft too. Nearly completely stops axle wrap with 3/4 lip.

1228441224.jpg

1228441223.jpg

Your shackle is on the wrong side and it will need to be trussed all the way to the bushing or it will break in half.

:scratchhead:
Your shackle is on the wrong side and it will need to be trussed all the way to the bushing or it will break in half.

Shackle is on the wrong side of WHAT? and WHAT? needs to be trussed to the bushing? And WHAT? will break in half? :corn:

WHAT??? My T-bar isn't even trussed, and it's held up fine for 2 1/2 yrs....It's really similar to Fordzuki's pic, only mine's the slip/twist type....

WHAT??? My T-bar isn't even trussed, and it's held up fine for 2 1/2 yrs....It's really similar to Fordzuki's pic, only mine's the slip/twist type....

When you pound on your rig with BIG tires and drive hard almost every weekend stuff breaks that you might not be able to break. Hes referring to the shackle being upside down, it needs to be pointed up, why would you build something that takes away clearance? Also if you want to make it strong you need to make it a complete triangle, your putting a ton of stress on the bottom tube by having the top tube end in the middle of the span. It will fail, its only a matter of time. :awesomework:

Yeah, jeeze, look at that shackle hanging down, I wondered why the tires wouldn't touch the ground. :fawkdancesmiley:

When you pound on your rig with BIG tires and drive hard almost every weekend stuff breaks that you might not be able to break. Hes referring to the shackle being upside down, it needs to be pointed up, why would you build something that takes away clearance? Also if you want to make it strong you need to make it a complete triangle, your putting a ton of stress on the bottom tube by having the top tube end in the middle of the span. It will fail, its only a matter of time. :awesomework:

Well, mine IS triangulated, just not trussed with any plate/gussetts....I will say this, it all depends on the overall length of said T-bar as to how much stress will be placed on it in a given situation...
You don't need large tires to break ****.... It mainly depends on the design, and quality of the work done;
I will agree that eventually **** will happen and stuff breaks with abuse....:awesomework:
As far as the shackle goes, It's kinda hard to tell from the pic but it LOOKS like it's tucked up higher than the D-line is; Soooo, if he hits the shackle I think he's gonna have bigger probs than that.....The ONE thing I will say in the constructive criticism area is you should do a full wrap on the axle brackets (around the tube)....with what appears to be less than half a wrap, that mount may tear off there....just my .02... FWIW It does look good Fordzuki

Last edited:

So what your saying is the bottom shackle should not be directly underneath the top shackle? LIke it should be more torward the front of the axle rather then directly in the center?

If it was me i would of not made the shackles so long, i think that would make for a weak point with all that leverage out at the end but hey it might work fine. Also i would of put the bottom shackle more forward torward the front of the axle and up a little higher for a little more ground clearance.

Not here to bash anyones work, im no expert by any means.:beer: