• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TRAIL DAMAGE!.. need some help fixing! Driveshaft

JEEPFREEK1

Well, actually, Just need to know where to go for getting my slip lengthened on my front driveshaft.

Last time I went wheeling in Reno, I went over some potholes and bounced the jeep pretty good.. Since I have a shackle reverse on my jeep, the axle swung forward and pulled the driveline until it ran out of slip. Unfortunately, this caused it to pull the seal out of the transfer case.. :mad:

So, after about 3 hours of mucking with it to get the driveshaft off and the yoke and pound the seal back in, I called it good.

I went wheeling at reiter today and the same thing sort of happened.. although this time it didn't pull the seal COMPLETELY out.. just almost.

So, I'd like to know your recommendations on a shop that can lengthen the slip on my front driveshaft so this doesn't happen again!

Thank you!!

junkyard jim said:
Is it a stock shaft? What lengths closed/extended do you need? I may have one.

Yes.. it's a stock shaft for a '95 YJ.

The closed length isn't the issue.. (and for the life of me, I can't remember what the stock closed length is)..

The main problem is the travel (or there lack of) when the axle droops.. mainly when going over the bouncy potholes.. (grrrrr.)

now I need to get another seal and put it in at the same time the driveshaft is out. (since you have to remove the skidpan to get the drive shaft out anyway).

So, I'd think I'd need at least another 6" of travel of the front shaft? (my estimation I guess)

If ya got something, let me know..

try calling some driveline shops in the area. I think i had min drive shafts lengthened at Best Drivelines in Everett. Prices there were all right.

I've always dealt with Aukeen Driveline in Kent, a few blocks North of Boeing surplus on Central Ave. He does good work, prices are reasonable, and it's usually a fairly quick turn around time. Can't ask for much more than that.

Latest posts