• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail-Gear rear springs

CarnationSensation

So i have searched but with no luck am now posting this thread.

I have a set of TG 4" springs in the rear. yeah i didnt do my research before buying them but long story short they suck.

My question is, has anyone ever taken leafs out to make more flexible? they are a 7 leaf pack and ive herd of people taking springs out but cant find anything about it other than people talking about which springs are better. im thinking about just going with the chevy 63's but i dont like the extra added length getting hung up on the rocks and ive already bobbed my bed for the TG springs....
So have any of you done this? Had any buddies do this?
How did you like? how did they like?
Did it make any difference in articulation?
I know i will get more axle wrap but an anti wrap bar is a simple fix to that.

thanks for the input.:corn:

Well im new so take what I say with a grain of salt.

But I dont see people jumping in to answer so ill give my opinon based on logic.

First question is, What is the length of the TG springs, eye to eye?

I got my truck with some "lift" springs and they were like 57" eye to eye. Like you, I thought they sucked.

A friend of mine was also running the 57"s He ended up taking it down to somtihing like 3 leafs. After flexing it out a lot they ended up staying just flat. He would abuse it bad and flex them the opposite way they should. Ater watching him kill his springs, I thought of removing less leafs or making some functional bump stops to keep them from bending the opposite way.

I swapped to the 63s.

So, IMHO, if you want to use your current springs. I would try taking out one a time. flexing it and seing if you like it. If you dont take out enough, its too stiff and the stiffer it is, the more road/towing worthy it is. If you take out too many, then your too flexy and you need bump stops to make it so you dont over flex and your less road/tow worthy. I also think you may lose the "lift" from them too. I dont think they will keep their natural bend once u strip the pack.

Next question, did you move your rear leaf perches? If so, how much?

Pulling leaves is probably going to leave you with a bunch of axle wrap and bent springs. Proper bump stop setup is important like slideshow touched on too but. I ran 57" ford springs on my last rig and they rode and flexed great. Some pics of your suspension would be helpful since setup will make or break any suspension.

There is more to the set-up than just the springs...weight of rear of rig is a factor...shackle angle, etc....Pics of your set-up would help.

This is the best pic i could find for now.

They are 57" eye to eye. I moved the front leaf perches forward 5" (what TG's directions recommended) The rear shackle perches aren't supposed to move on 3rd gen. So basically i just followed the directions on the TG website. im sure everything is set up close to where it should be as everything seems to function as it should.

Slideshow you make a good point about towing. i wont ever tow anything heavy but i got a 3 bike trailer i sometimes use and it tows very well as is now.

I figure i can take a couple out and try it. see how it reacts. if it starts sagging or warping the springs at all i can just put one or all back in to regain some shape and lift.

My rear shackle angle also hasn't changed since i installed the springs suggesting they still haven't broken in... I've had them on the truck for a year. i don't DD it but i do put some miles on it. also drive it to wherever im goin wheelin but that isnt really breaking them in just driving on the road.
View attachment 50428

Last edited:
I have TG 3" rear springs on a 89 truck and I took out the overload spring and they work great for me.

I have the trail gear 5" lift springs pulled out 1 leaf and with the weight of the flatbed i'm good and they flex pretty good.You don't seem to have enough shackle angle IMO but it could also be the picture

Monster truck springs dont flex.

Springs with no support bend and introduce axle wrap.

Remember those springs will sell for $150-200. Thats the price of 63s and hangers.

If you remove leafs and kill them then you have some scrap metal that wont sell.

Good luck.

Monster truck springs dont flex.

Springs with no support bend and introduce axle wrap.

Remember those springs will sell for $150-200. Thats the price of 63s and hangers.

If you remove leafs and kill them then you have some scrap metal that wont sell.

Good luck.

And that's what im trying to figure out is whether or not its worth it to try taking a couple out to see if its better or just sell em and get 63's.

If I go with 63's do I need to move my rear shackle mounts or just the fronts? I cut the frame right at the shackle mount.
How much block would I need to sit level with front?
Thanks.

About a 2 inch block usually. Dont worry the block will be fine and you wont get wrap.

Ill take a 2 inch block on a quality spring long before a huge arched crappy spring.

The shackle can be mounted to the back of your bumper if you need it.

Plus the chevy springs will tollerate lots more shackle angle than the TGs.

By the looks of the pic, another thing you could do is cut off the shackle hanger and move it forward a half inch or so and weld it back on-this will increase the shackle angle allowing for more flex, and lower the rear of the rig a tad without modifying the leaf pack...If you weld at all, you'd be shocked at the porosity of the factory weld, i was the first time I cut one off...just throwin another option out there...

By the looks of the pic, another thing you could do is cut off the shackle hanger and move it forward a half inch or so and weld it back on-this will increase the shackle angle allowing for more flex, and lower the rear of the rig a tad without modifying the leaf pack...If you weld at all, you'd be shocked at the porosity of the factory weld, i was the first time I cut one off...just throwin another option out there...

Yeah im gunna do that today. im gunna play with the packs and see what happens.
i know what you mean. 5 min with a cut off blade and a BFH and bam! your done! suprised they hold up to some of the **** they go through!
will let you know how it turns out.

I have a guy with 4'' springs that took 2 of his out and never had a problem, but I would agree that you could use a lttle more shackle angle.

So i ended up taking 2 leaves out. tried 3 at first but figured it was a little too soft and would wear out fairly quick so i put one back in.
Moved the shackle mount about 3" forward and built new shackles. went from 5" shackles to 7".
Also finally move my shox from the factory postion to the angled position.
Sits level like it did before but now has A LOT more flex. tires now get stuffed into the wheel well enough to where i may have to do some triming, before i had 2" of clearance.
Also flexed out on a rock i usually check my shock angles at and then i would put the front tire on the top of the rock my rear would come off the ground about 4", it now stays planted.
Need to go out this weekend and test everything out.
Anyone else down to go somewhere?
I usually go to Walker, Evans, or Elby.
Locked front and rear, single case with 4.7's.
Let me know if you got plans to go anywhere and wont mind another rig or if you want to go lets set sumthin up. with the rain weve been having it should make the trails a little more dificult.

Thanks to all for you input! :awesomework:

3" forward???? Wow, shoot a pic of your shackle angle now...even with 7" shackles I bet it's damn near layin' flat! You likely could have left the leaves in, and moved the shackle mounts forward enough to still retain the 5" shackle and stuff the tires into the wells...

3" forward???? Wow, shoot a pic of your shackle angle now...even with 7" shackles I bet it's damn near layin' flat! You likely could have left the leaves in, and moved the shackle mounts forward enough to still retain the 5" shackle and stuff the tires into the wells...

View attachment 50478

Yeah still havent found out how to add more than 1 pic without deleting the the other i have posted....
oh well. this is what i got for now.

Last edited:
You putting the bed and stuff back on? I think you're gonna wish you'd have kept the 5", and not moved the hanger quite so far forward...I guess we'll see! :redneck:

As for pics, you can host them from a pic-hosting site and upload the link here using the little "insert image" link icon above next to the youtube link icon...or donate to the NWW site...

You putting the bed and stuff back on? I think you're gonna wish you'd have kept the 5", and not moved the hanger quite so far forward...I guess we'll see! :redneck:

As for pics, you can host them from a pic-hosting site and upload the link here using the little "insert image" link icon above next to the youtube link icon...or donate to the NWW site...

Yeah i already put the bed back on and everyhing, sat bout 1/4" lower with bed on than how it looks in the pic.

Put my bumper back on and fully flexed (rear tire compleetly stuffed into wheelwell) and shackle barely bumps bottom of the bumper with the leaves laying compleetly flat, no negative arch.

If i start to sag i will put another leaf back in. Drove it around a bit and it seemed to ride a bit smoother, definately soaked up pot holes quite abit better. I think the new shock angle helped also.

And thanks for helpin on the picture stuff. Im pretty computer illeterate so thank you!:cool:

Just need to get out and play around. Thinking Sunday will be the day.

Latest posts