• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail highway

Trailjeep

Old guy rant that doesn't get to the trail enough but when I do does he seem like the trails keep getting wider and wider the bypass has a bypass that has another bypass what happened to the old days that you stacked rocks winched and dragged your junk up the trail that was there or you but your tail between your legs and went back down and went up a trail that you really should have been on rant over let everyone else chime in

PRIDE.

I personally think that pride gets in the way of people enjoying riding....there is nothing wrong with winching up something to keep riding.

Years ago at the ledge above Slickrock i jumped down in the trail to help an older man pull the winch and this is what he told me.

"Why have a winch if you don't use it. it is on the front end for a reason...sometimes it is to save yourself, sometimes it is to help others", and that has always stuck with me.

It was a very true statement.

The way i look at 4 wheelin is it is a big game of problem solving....sometimes that means different things to get up a trail or out of some crazy mess, i am not going to limit my options to get myself out of a situation, even if that means stacking a few rocks, winching, using a hi-lift jack, a tree, a saw, driving over someones tire, a strap....you get the point.

Pride tears up a lot of parts.

All 4wheeler/dirt bike trails I've ever been on were like that. Now it's just turning into RZRs and instant catalog crawlers, which are as big as "built" jeeps were in the 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I have always tried to let his statement be a good voice of reason when i am wheeling.

It is really easy to get frustrated when things are not working....i have saw a lot of crazy things happen when someone get frustrated and then decides to not use reason. (a bad rollover on Trail 66 at the very first Crawling for Reid comes to mind, that rollover lead to both the driver and passenger getting knocked out, which led to them hitting a standing dead tree which lead to the tree falling on top of the buggy, all while we went from running to help them, then to running for our lives to keep from getting hit by the falling tree, to then running back to help what we thought would be a driver and passenger very badly hurt...Thank GOD they were not hurt bad or killed.) None of that would have happened if the driver would have just realized the limit and stopped. Anyone who was there will remember the crash for sure. It really killed the mood.

Usually that is when things go south and parts get broken, and that generally just makes things worse.

When you spend as much money as it cost just to get to the trail/park, to me it seem a lot more fun to do some riding rather then going to one spot and breaking your rig right of the bat.

My little group still rides like that. If you can't make it in 3-4 tries either pull cable or hit the bypass.

I've winched probably as many miles as i've rode. I'll also be the first to pull cable usually. People make fun sometimes but **** them i'm there to ride and enjoy myself. Make it or break it is cool if you have sponsors.

xjmarc said:
My little group still rides like that. If you can't make it in 3-4 tries either pull cable or hit the bypass.

But why hit the bypass? just pull up the real cable and continue up the trail

I guess it's the difference in "trail riding" and "park riding"

TBItoy said:

Theres a huge difference in that and i never realized until just now that it was a thing. If you can then it's easier on the people helping you to take the bypass but if youre on an actual trail you can't. I miss tellico.

TBItoy said:

Sometimes it just makes more sense to hit the bypass.

it's a time thing too. It takes way less time to back down and pull off than to make your friends walk up and down the hill 4 more times to pull cable for you to still not make the trail. Plus you can still cause major damage winching. Just save the cable and go on.

jeeptj99 said:
Theres a huge difference in that and i never realized until just now that it was a thing. If you can then it's easier on the people helping you to take the bypass but if youre on an actual trail you can't. I miss tellico.

yeah that's what I was getting at.

Most parks have a "road" or access trail that runs beside the obstacles. In that case, fine, take the easy road.

But on some trails, people just keep driving out wider and Wider and WIDER around the actual obstacle to just make it a dirt trail. I don't like it.

I've seen it in a lot of places in dry washes/dry creek beds. Everywhere there is a ledge, there is a pull out to go around it up on the dirt bank.

jeeptj99 said:
I've winched probably as many miles as i've rode. I'll also be the first to pull cable usually. People make fun sometimes but **** them i'm there to ride and enjoy myself. Make it or break it is cool if you have sponsors.
I agree with this I hate to break right off the bat and it has not hurt my feelings to winch instead of breaking I don't have nothing to prove

The JK happened and everyone suddenly became off-roaders.
Trailjeep said:
Old guy rant that doesn't get to the trail enough but when I do does he seem like the trails keep getting wider and wider the bypass has a bypass that has another bypass what happened to the old days that you stacked rocks winched and dragged your junk up the trail that was there or you but your tail between your legs and went back down and went up a trail that you really should have been on rant over let everyone else chime in

TBItoy said:
yeah that's what I was getting at.

Most parks have a "road" or access trail that runs beside the obstacles. In that case, fine, take the easy road.

But on some trails, people just keep driving out wider and Wider and WIDER around the actual obstacle to just make it a dirt trail. I don't like it.

I've seen it in a lot of places in dry washes/dry creek beds. Everywhere there is a ledge, there is a pull out to go around it up on the dirt bank.
And then they tell everyone they made it up that trail, but fail to mention that they went around all the obstacles.

LOL...I did that with XJ on 35's. :) Backed down the top of Rattle Rock and took a pick of it under the Trail 47 Rattle Rock sign. hahahaha

I mean...that was stupid. Recreational wheeling is serious business.

I get it. The beauty of looking at a gnarly trail that has one line and is nasty then conquering it. That's always been my thing

Then again we have been VERY far from camp, at night, storm rolling in, not sure how far out, no cell service, no radar, weighing the options, what's the best option?

Thank God that guys before us broke badly and cut "bypasses" (I wouldn't call them that) because that was our way out to make it back to camp before we got stranded for the night in a crazy heavy storm.

Where the idea of winching for hours, no ponchos, uncovered buggies, ain't that exciting. Lol

I get it though. I understand the pride we feel. Thank God for the outs at times though.