• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer tires???

I'm hoping Colt chimes in. I really dont know, but exactly what you say BJ cheap insurance. I know it cant hurt.

The trailer above probably weighs more than mine but I have a 40ft Toy Hauler that I haul my buggy in the back & I just put a F series tire on there and I didn't have any trouble going to Hot Springs & back and the rodes out that way suck. It was about 800mi round trip.I really hope they hold up because I'm like y'all changing flat trailer tires sucks cause you usually have to unload it & everything. The place where I got them did balance them also. They need something you could throw down & check how much weight you have on each axle. Maybe they will work for ya. How much garage space is in that trailer?

I balance mine every time I get new tires. It makes them not "flat spot". It looks like they are riding level enough from your picture. To some it may look like the rear axle has a little more weight on it, but I'm thinking that is just your truck sitting on an incline at the pump.

A few things that work for me

1. Don't inflate over 70 psi regardless of what the tires says.
2. Distribution weight evenly
3. Don't use a tire over rated... (Your tires need a lot of sidewall give on a 3 axle)
4. Balance your tires. (Do you ride around in your truck with un-balanced tires). I imagine you have a heep of scratch in that trailer...no need to beat it to hell

I use hankook radials and Firestone transforce radials. I have always had good service from these 2 tire brands! Think about it...if my tire blows, it destroys the 300$$$$ boat above it. I don't run carlisles because the compound is to soft, and I don't run the high dollar michelins and good years because the sidewalks are too hard. I have pulled just about every tire cross country on my customers trailers known to man. The only ones that I have found to work for extended periods of time are the fire stones and the hankook dynapro AS.

With that being said, I will say there is no way your tires should be failing as quickly as you mention regardless of balance or brand unless you are extremely over weight.

I like that setup! Trailer is the shiz :woot:

COLT

Trailer is roughly 20k max. It's titled at 11k empty, add 1k for dishes and bs, 3k in tools and parts, 6k in buggy and rzr. That's all pretty hefty guesses I would think. It does sit a little high at the tongue but not much. I'm gonna give these new tires a go and see what happens.

Gizmo1 (lucas gilmore) lifted his trailer with a piece of square tubing under the torflex axles. It leveled it perfectly and was a cheap and easy fix.

COLT said:
Gizmo1 (lucas gilmore) lifted his trailer with a piece of square tubing under the torflex axles. It leveled it perfectly and was a cheap and easy fix.

This has certainly crossed my mind. In theory it might actually keep me from dragging the tail going into parks too. The only reason I haven't don't it yet is Vintage used side mount brackets from the axle to the frame. I need to pull a bracket, copy it in CAD and have a new set cut 1" taller. I don't want to drill the frame and I don't want to scab the bracket.

I knew I was getting a new truck so I was also waiting to see how it sat hooked to the new truck. It's pretty much the same. This may be next weekend project after I mount (and balance) these new tires.

COlt great info on the tires, I may changte brands next time around based on that.
Will also be dropping the PSI's.

yqaqy7em.jpg

Truck is registered showing 7800 empty.

I lifted my trailer the same way. No regrets. My "lift blocks" are just bolted in place.

Hate trailer tires!!!!!!
Only blowouts I've ever had on a trailer were trailer tires.
I run heavy duty truck tires and will never run trailer tires again!

Re: Re: Re: Trailer tires???

Budget YJ said:
Hate trailer tires!!!!!!
Only blowouts I've ever had on a trailer were trailer tires.
I run heavy duty truck tires and will never run trailer tires again!

Fwiw
I've had the same experience on all the car trailers I've owned.

Finally got out to look at mine, I have Denman Express tires on my car hauler, they have been on there for probably 6-7 years. Never had a problem and they have been to Virginia, Florida georgia and all over Alabama with loads. I dont think they make them anymore. Have some powerkings on my small 5x10 and have had over 3500lbs on it.

Firestone trans force is what I'm running on all my trailers and mines identical to yours 30 garage 18 living and weighing a lil more with cargo plus my rig is heavy as Fawkkkk!!! Close to 10k miles and not an issue one on 4 trailers

sinister rig said:
Firestone trans force is what I'm running on all my trailers and mines identical to yours 30 garage 18 living and weighing a lil more with cargo plus my rig is heavy as Fawkkkk!!! Close to 10k miles and not an issue one on 4 trailers
I have had the best miles out of the firestone trans force also .

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

InDaShop said:
...since then I have had 1 flat/blowout in close to 60k trailer miles. And it was directly related to dropping a tire off the pavement west of Sanger on FM455 (narrow ass 2 lane with no shoulder).

Well turns out if you got a brake that hangs up and gets hot, it heats the air in the tire and expands until POWWWW! Also turns out dropping the tire may not have been its detriment, but ramping it fullloaded over 110psi may have been a bad idea on accident... Popped another one this weekend, same one. Lasered hub & wheel and it was 245degrees. :eek: others were 80-85.