• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailing Arms

I think there is a big "usability" difference between the canoe style rock anchors and a flat link with the shocks mounted to it. Both are "technically" trailing arms...but I still consider one to be a trailing arm and one to be "shocks mounted to the links"

If purpose built for a race rig, definitely go with the trailing arms and rock out. If its a trail rig, I dont think I would go with a set of canoe style trailing arms. If you want a bit more travel - mount the shocks to the link somewhere along the length and go with that, you'll get some of both benefits that way. But I have seen trailing arms hang up a buggy on stuff that should be a walk in the park just because they hang down further.

But on a trail rig I still think a regular link and shock combo is one of the best/easiest options. To me the more simple and "easy" a trail rig is...the better it works over time.

I'm in the planning stages of a 4 seat buggy. Gonna go with a M&M chassis this go around. Talked it over with PJ. I think for shock packaging, trailing arms will work better. Instead of trying to fight with the bench seat placement and shocks trying to use the same space. It will take away some from the leg room aspect BUT my boys are 4 & 5 and I'm not planning on packing around adults back there.

The RuffStuff arms are easy to shorten of you are looking for a kit you can modify slightly. Cole at RCM Fab cut a pair to 44" for his new buggy. I don't think taking it to 42 would be a problem.

wizzo said:
I'm in the planning stages of a 4 seat buggy. Gonna go with a M&M chassis this go around. Talked it over with PJ. I think for shock packaging, trailing arms will work better. Instead of trying to fight with the bench seat placement and shocks trying to use the same space. It will take away some from the leg room aspect BUT my boys are 4 & 5 and I'm not planning on packing around adults back there.

4 seaters definitely seem to package together better with trailing arms - when you start getting into extra seats you either have to make a ton of packaging changes, or build a massive buggy. 20lbs of **** in a 5lbs bag! PJ knows how to stuff them all in there though thats for sure; I'm pumped to see that buggy, it will be badass I am sure loller.gif

What makes trailing arms easier to package in a 4 seater? Is it just the ability to run a shorter shock. I certainly dont know anything about building a 4 seater buggy but I would have thought having shocks mounted further forward with the trailing arms would make it harder to package not easier.

d_daffron said:
What makes trailing arms easier to package in a 4 seater? Is it just the ability to run a shorter shock. I certainly dont know anything about building a 4 seater buggy but I would have thought having shocks mounted further forward with the trailing arms would make it harder to package not easier.

Look at the pic I posted. The shocks end up behind the front seats rather than back behind the bench seat (creating a longer buggy) or you push the rear seat back (creating a longer buggy). I'm willing to sacrifice a little foot room in the rear. As I said, not planning on adults being in the back all the time.

d_daffron said:

Its not that the trailing arms are easier to package in a 4 seater - its the other way around... a 4 seater is easier to package together well* with trailing arms. It lets you get the shocks out of the rear bench seat.

*well meaning the chassis length and width, seat locations, etc

Oh, and yes...just like Wizzo said laughing1 didnt see his post before

Latest posts