• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trails at Evans Creek?

Dogboy

Anybody know what trails up at Evans creek have little to no snow on them?
I MIGHT be heading up tomorrow (Monday) with a couple friends but I just don't want to be battling snow all day.

I think I heard that the Lower 311 was open/ free of snow.
But what about the 102/105 trails, or the 198? Those are really the only 3 trails I care about until all the snow is gone up there.

The 102 is open and some of the others might be with this weather and the use from yesterday and today but there will still be lots of snow in the shaded areas and north facince slopes.

I guess I didn't specify it either, but when you say 102, do you mean the part that goes up to meet the 198, or the part that goes over to the entry parking lot?

I was interested in the "upper" part, that goes up to the 198.

call derick from the redneck and rugrats. You have a winch just don't go alone. There is plenty of snow up there you don't need to question that.

I don't have that guys number...

Also, I know there's snow at the camp ground, but I read somewhere that the passable, but I don't know if that means clear of snow, or passable with a tube buggy, or what "passable" means.

I won't be going by myself. My buddy with a Comanchee (the pickup Wagoneer), will be going too, but I think my Ranger is more capable than his truck, and he doesn't have a winch.
We have my winch, and I told him to bring a shovel just in case, haha.

Last edited:
last weekend we went up there we got to the top of upper 311 but had to turn around at last turn the snow was still 6 ft or better up on the landing

Well, today we started off on the lower 311 at about 11:00, which didn't have a spec of snow on it. I think I only turned the tires a couple times, so it was WAY easier than it was in August of last summer.
Then we got to the road/ trail that dumps into the campground. There was snow starting about where the Upper 311 starts, if I remember correctly.
We went ahead and headed up the rest of the 311 seeing snow a couple spots, and in those spots it was almost gone. The last hillclimb has 2 routes up that are free of snow, but they are just kind of troughs.
Right there is where the snow really started. We were in snow pretty much from the last hill climb up past the little play area, and to where the trail cuts to the left to meet up with the main road. We turned around right there because of the snow, and headed to the campground, that was about 12:30.

The campground is where the fun started! It took us 3.5 hours to get from the Upper 311 entrance, to the main parking lot. I had to winch my Ranger over the bridge that goes over the creek. Then my buddy got his Camanchee stuck there also, and it quite running, so I winch and yanked him up to the road/ gate where we got it started.
From there it was a lot of shovel and winch work to get back to the parking area, because it was 2 ruts ALL the way (except maybe the last 1/4 mile or so), and my snowplow-of-a-D35 front axle tried to plow the snow more than go over it... My buddy's Chamanchee did a lot better with his solid axles and 35x12.5's (I have 33x12.5's)
We got back to the entry parking lot right at 4:00.

So, all in all, the roads were more difficult than the trails, whodathunkit.

Also, my buddy needs to get a real t-case behind his tranny!!! That Jeep AWD crap is a joke... I don't think I ever saw a front AND rear tire spinning, it was always a front, or a rear, never both.

Last edited:
my snowplow-of-a-D35 front axle tried to plow the snow more than go over it... My buddy's Chamanchee did a lot better with his solid axles and 35x12.5's (I have 33x12.5's)

I hate those d 35 front axle, they dont turn for crap and always breaking c clips....:corn:

I hate those d 35 front axle, they dont turn for crap and always breaking c clips....:corn:

My Ranger actually turns pretty damn sharp for how long it is (extended cab with a 6ft bed). It turned about twice as sharp as Fordzuki's LJ does, when he had his LJ welded front and rear (I know that decreases the turning radius a lot).
It's just how low it is that I don't like.

My Ranger actually turns pretty damn sharp for how long it is (extended cab with a 6ft bed). It turned about twice as sharp as Fordzuki's LJ does, when he had his LJ welded front and rear (I know that decreases the turning radius a lot).
It's just how low it is that I don't like.

:haha:I am a :looser:, I skipped over that you had a ranger a couple times....:beer:

The TTB actually has an impressive turning radius if it's tuned right, and the diff left open.

I miss towing with the 83 fullsize bronco for just that reason. I could damn near flip a bitch with the trailer on the road up to evans with that thing.

Sounds like you guys had a fun trip, Dogboy. Get any pics? :corn:

Kinda. I got 3 pictures of Matt coming up the rock garden on the lower 311, and then one of one of the shelters in the campground (the one off to the left if you are coming from the 311. There was probably 4 feet still on it's roof!

They are on my phone, so I'll try and get them up here shortly.

EDIT: The card reader is on my bro's computer and he's gone to bed, so the pics will have to wait until tomorrow.

Last edited:
Wheeling alone tsk tsk. Do you use earplugs or can you just turn them off in your head :haha:
I know. I wasn't going to get to crazy that day. I only ran the lower 311. Ended up leaving right after this. :D

Thinking I'm getting good at tuning them out. Could you tell? :rolleyes:

Last edited: