• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Training my dogs to hunt Pheasant.

gasman1

Took the dogs down to Scatter Creek along with 5 pheasants to do some training. The plan is to place the birds one at a time in a field and have the dogs flush them up and retrieve them. The first bird flew away and we could not pick up the scent again, even with weights on it to slow it down. We ended shooting two bird and ringing the neck of two birds that would not fly, just run around. It was a god day out in the field. There is still more to learn and more to teach the dogs, but we are off to a good start

The wife is cooking the pheasant with a recipe she found on another forum and we will see how good it is. this is the first time she has cooked, and first time we are eating pheasant. ( i snuck a piece of the bird an so far it taste good can't wait for dinner)

Here are some pic from today.

0207001207.jpg

downsized_0207001150.jpg

0207001208a.jpg

downsized_0207001156.jpg

downsized_0207001208.jpg

downsized_0207001223a.jpg

I had a better write up done but accidentally erased it, and i was not going to do all that again, so you get the short version.

You would sneak a bit of the meat!!! :haha: Looks like a good day had!!!
You losin' weight Pete???:eeek:

You might try to dizzy the birds in a burlap sack before planting them in the field.

Dizzying + weights and they might not fly as far,not sure though. At the shoot to retrieve trials they do this to keep the birds in the same area as planted. Just a thought, good luck! bird dogs are a blast!

I train huntin dogs for people and you should really dizzy them al you got to do is hold them like a bowling ball by there wings andwith a fingure between there shoulders and just act like you are steering soup for like thirty seconds. Also tire there feet together with some marker tape so they can't run then they won't have the option and will most likely fly. Also set them in grass that you have stomped down some then they don't feel trapped. But if you are really gettin into it go buy your self a small tri tronics feild launcher they are worth every penny got three wingers And four of the small launchers you can run the off your e colar if you have a nice one. They cost about 150-200.

Oh and I frogot your local over pass is a great way to get cheap birds go under there at night with a light and a net and catch pigions way cheaper then raising your own or buying phesants for 9.50 a pop only buy them when you really need to. Keep there wings also cause it's just the sent that matters.

Thanks NB. I am using pigions now. I found a guy i can get them from for $4 each. The phesants i had on the previos day were cheap as hell, so used them.

Have made 2 trips over to Cooke Canyon with some guys that have pointers. and have been training and hunting with them.

Heading to Monroe on sat to do some training with the Rainier Retreiver Club, they are having a BBQ-training session this weekend to gather money and dog food for the Pierce and King County Animal Shelters. Should be a good time.

I am always game for tips on training my dogs :awesomework:

Here is a few pic from last weekend.

03142010005.jpg

03142010003.jpg

03142010002.jpg

The dogs on the ride home
03142010006.jpg

Last edited:
Oh you are probably goin to green leaf I would assume. I will be heading over there in the next month or two for a trial. That club is a great club I think I am part of it idk for sure tho. I have never been to that ranch before but Looks very nice. I mainly run flat coats well mine but me and my real good freind have trained couple master hunter labs and two master hunter springers and three seniour hunter flat coats that are working for there master this coming year. It has been a great experiance scene starting with this man when I was fourteen. Maybe I will see you out at another gathering some time. Your pups look great and good luck with them. If you have any more questions you can pm me I know alot of tricks that could help.

Oh you are probably goin to green leaf I would assume. I will be heading over there in the next month or two for a trial. That club is a great club I think I am part of it idk for sure tho. I have never been to that ranch before but Looks very nice. I mainly run flat coats well mine but me and my real good freind have trained couple master hunter labs and two master hunter springers and three seniour hunter flat coats that are working for there master this coming year. It has been a great experiance scene starting with this man when I was fourteen. Maybe I will see you out at another gathering some time. Your pups look great and good luck with them. If you have any more questions you can pm me I know alot of tricks that could help.

Any tips that you think may help is :awesomework:

I may be there agin on April 10, but not 100% sure yet.
If i do the trials, it will be my first time. I mainly train for hunting, not to sure if i wan to go for titles or not.

What i really need to work on it training my pups how to search and find the birds, they will fetch a bird of the water with not any issues but i need to learn how to have them search them out.

What you need to do is teach them to work the feild get two gunners on Saab side of you abot ten fifteen yards away from you and a little bit infront of you. Have them have birds or a bumper have the dog go out and have them tease the dog from one side to the other while you all are walking right as the dog turns to go back to the other side have that gunner throw the bumper or bird. Do what ever you have the dog do for when a bird flys then release the dog to get the bird or bumper. Do this alot it will soon train the dog into thinking he has to run back and forth threw the fields to find a bird then after thy get used to that plant birds and they should figure it out. It will take some time but this is how we trained most of our ukc upland champion dogs we usualy whisle sit them when the bird flys because in the trial they are not aloud to just run after the bird till they are released. Also it helps when huntig so you or Someone around you doesn't shoot your do while tryig to get the bird.