• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trans Help Please

tbacon38

I just had my TH400 rebuilt clutches, pump, etc, I have a manual reverse valve body, all the good stuff blah,blah, even a new converter, I stick it back in the buggy fill it up normal routine, started the motor checked to make sure it would move and it did fine, I had to readjust the cable to take the gears correctly, so backed it out of the shop drove it around for about 15 min just going through the gears and making sure it worked perfect and did at the time. Parked for about 5 min and went for another drive, started out easy just went through the gears and worked flawlessly, so I decided to get in the gas and made a really hard pass going through all gears hard, shifted into 3rd and didn't run hard very long when I got out of the gas its like the trans went into neutral rpms jumped up like something blew apart I got out and everything looked visually fine, got back in the buggy fired it up put it in gear and nothing, will not move in any gear, so I pushed it back in the shop and checked the fluid and its correct, pulled one of the cooler lines off and no fluid is coming out, my question is can the pump just go out like that or could it be something simple.

Thanks man I'm kind of thinking the same thing, just hoping it was something simple

Just make sure your converter is pushed in all the way before you take it out, could be that simple, but if your lucks like mine i bet not

Yeah i got it to the shop this morning guy said the converter was to deep and welded itself to the pump gears getting a new pump and hopefully be ready for the weekend.

i am guessing it was bottomed out against pump gear, i pull mine outbout 1/8 inch, dont know the exact play it supposed to have

Just asking,are you sure the converter was locked in twice in the trans when the trans was installed? If not that would have pushed into the pump to much.

POPS58 said:
Just asking,are you sure the converter was locked in twice in the trans when the trans was installed? If not that would have pushed into the pump to much.
Yeah i clicked 3 times, guy that bolted the converter to the flywheel did not pull it out at all and shimed it so it busted the front pumpm gears and welded itself to the pump, got it all back together and ready to go.

when you buy a PTC converter the instructions say to make sure that it will fit into the crank shaft properly or it can do this same thing. thumb.gif