• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

transmission issue

mudslayer

I have a 2wd 1991 suburban that the trans took a ****. So I put a used one in from a buddy. Everything went smooth. Went for a test drive and it shifts early and super hard. So I did a little searching around and found that possibly the tv (trottle valve) cable might need adjustment. So i put back in my origanal tv cable and now shifts really soft, almost as if it is slipping. There is a hole in the wall shop around the corner from me that is saying that possibly the cable needs adjusted, which he said has to done at the mounting bracket. Also said a gauge needs to hooked up to set the shift points? Does this sound correct?. I hate to take into a shop not knowing anything and get ripped. Oh yeah its a 700r4.

That's exactly it. Google how to set it, it's very easy. Do it before you do any more driving or it will burn up your new trans. I've never used a gauge on a GM trans, it's needed on some Ford stuff to set the TV cable but not in your case.

I forget the procedure for a 700r4 TV cable, but it is super simple to do..a quick google search will yield lots of how-to vids...
I remember now...where the cable is snapped into the bracket on the TBI unit, There is a D-shaped button on the end of the cable housing you push in on, then push the plastic toothed piece back into the housing, and release the D button...with the vehicle off, open the accelerator to WOT and release, you should have heard a ratcheting sound while the plastic part came back out to its proper position...Done...

yes adjust it most of the way tight...then full throttle it with engine off...also,1 click on the adjustment makes a difference...whats your location?

Latest posts