• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transmission ??

xjpaddler

Well, i have picked up a 2003 chevy SS. It has the 6.0 lq9 and 4l65 trans. My qustions are, do i use this trans, or go back to a t400, t350, or a glide. My next rig will be more of a race/ u4 inspired rig. I know nothing about the 4l65 as far as strength goes.

If you can make the gearing work, I'd say go with a Powerglide as well. That's the exact combo I'm putting in my build, LQ9, Powerglide, and Atlas 3.0. I would reccomend putting an UltraBell on it, it's cheap insurance and they're pretty easy to put on. They make one specifially for LS engines. Mine is 18.75" from the face of the bellhousing to the face of the Atlas adapter.

xjpaddler said:
Well, i have picked up a 2003 chevy SS. It has the 6.0 lq9 and 4l65 trans. My qustions are, do i use this trans, or go back to a t400, t350, or a glide. My next rig will be more of a race/ u4 inspired rig. I know nothing about the 4l65 as far as strength goes.

What is wrong with the silverado?

zukimaster said:
Well a glide and turbo 350 is the same length, the 350 does have a lower first gear, if that is needed!

Powerglide is roughly 6" shorter than a 350 turbo, that's bell housing face to where the tail housing bolts, a glide by itself is roughly 16" end to end, that's due to having to run them as a shorty like in a dragster. Only thing with running a glide Is needing to run a low geared atlas to make up for the first gear in the trans. But deffinately worth it

muddinmetal said:
What is wrong with the silverado?

No tittle, and it was wrecked. The bed is gone. Interior is shot! But every thing else screams new truck. It had less than 100k on it.

Whats your thoughts on the glide for raceing, high speed stuff??

I will be running 14b hybrids with 4.56 gears. I will probly drop the$$ for a 3speed hero case. When todd gets them out.

Was thinking 1.1 3.8 5.0

Super lift and clayton are my home parks. So there is still a lot of true crawling!!

Bringing this back up. Whats the thoughts on the 4l65E?? Ive got it its all ready bolted up and is a 4x4 trans.

I will not be building a high HP rig. Probly 450-500.

xjpaddler said:
Bringing this back up. Whats the thoughts on the 4l65E?? Ive got it its all ready bolted up and is a 4x4 trans.

I will not be building a high HP rig. Probly 450-500.

I would just use what I had, plus you get a much lower 1st gear that way

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Think i will use it and put the $$ towards shocks and a case!

muddinmetal said:
I would just use what I had, plus you get a much lower 1st gear that way
I second that all your doing by using the Power Glide is rasing your first gear, adding more expense to your build, and adding more delay to your build. If its bolting up the t case to the backs of the trans your worried about call Advanced Adapters if they dont have it then certainly someone on here can fab one cheaply. Heck you might have lower operating temps on the trail and having more gears its great if your trans starts to fail just my opinion.

Yankster - Your builder used the smooth direct drum from a 4L60E so that he can run a 34 Element Sprag unit which is MUCH stronger than the early TH400 stuff. You have to use the smooth drum from a 4L60/E. Hope this helps. 4L65/E would have OD and in my opinion is TOO many gears for what we do. id stick with a Th350/400 or I suppose powerglide. run the extra clutches and 34 element sprag and never look back.