• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trapping

jhardy

Anybody ever do any trapping like coon, bobcat, beaver? Been reading and watching a bunch of videos. My wifes grandparents have a few to many beavers on their pond. Thinking about trying to trap them but not really sure what I'm doing. Any help would be great.

Call in some friends. One night close to dark bust the damn up. Sit about 75 yards away with a cooler full of beer, a spotlight, and lots of ammo. U can thank me later for the new hobby! :****:

BUG-E J said:
Call in some friends. One night close to dark bust the damn up. Sit about 75 yards away with a cooler full of beer, a spotlight, and lots of ammo. U can thank me later for the new hobby! :****:

I like to sit about 20 yards away on a full moon with a 12ga and goose loads.

BUG-E J said:

TBItoy said:
I like to sit about 20 yards away on a full moon with a 12ga and goose loads.

Either way you choose to do it these beat the heck out of trapping!!!! More fun than you can have anywhere else!

I trap alot but don't get to catch many beavers because of my location not close to water but i have caught some in the past. I used body grip traps on them and they done a good job buy some beaver caster and set your traps then tear up some of there dam so they will be out searching for branches just don't let any pets in that area with them kind of traps because these will snap there neck of choke.them out I use 220 &330 good luck you tube has tons of info on this

TBItoy said:
Shoot em in the water or when they climb up on the damn? Or both

At first we were waiting till they came out. Didn't take them long to figure out something was up so we swapped to shooting them in water. Hit 3 damns in one weekend and prolly killed 20. I was amazed how many of them fawkers live in one den.

I've been a few times since and we waited till they came out but never shot that many at one time.

Suppressed .22 and comfy hide...dusk and early AM....
When I lived in MS, in an HOA neighborhood, we had a creek on the backside of the neighborhood. The beavers would dam it up and start to flood the creek. It was getting close to some of the occupied properties and the road. The HOA president was a tightwad and didn't wanna pay someone to trap them, he knew I hunted and asked if I had anything that would take care of beavers...kinda quiet like... Hehehe. Why yes, yes I do.... Cleaned the den out and he hired a few mexicans to destroy the dam.

jp fan said:
I trap alot but don't get to catch many beavers because of my location not close to water but i have caught some in the past. I used body grip traps on them and they done a good job buy some beaver caster and set your traps then tear up some of there dam so they will be out searching for branches just don't let any pets in that area with them kind of traps because these will snap there neck of choke.them out I use 220 &330 good luck you tube has tons of info on this

So do you set them in the water or on land? I've read and seen both ways just curious what is better. Also is the anywhere local to buy traps. I have a few. Just need more

Don't know where you are but bass pro has a few and the local feed and seed keeps a pretty good selection. Bass pro is in leeds al and feed and seed is in thorsby. Any of y'all skinning them?

I have been trapping for at least 20/21 years. I'm in walker county and we have a local CO OP.
More or less a feed/seed place. They have an awsome selection. Every beaver I ever trapped was in the water. That way if the trap don't kill them they drown. Hope I've been some help. Merry Christmas

Yes set the traps in the water and tie them off good you don't want to loose any traps and the there are places around to buy them bass pro cabelas and gander mt. with gander mt. having the best selection I use Hoosier trapping supply for most of my big buys, and when making your sets use only green limbs and sticks they don't fool with anything dead hope this helps