• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trip Rep, Long, TSF 8-13-06, pic link

JT Law

http//community.webshots.com/album/553126674lCLbZe

Started the day at 9am, usual place, NP McD's

Hooked up with Edjeep, Rubigoddess, and her son for a play day in TSF.

We got there with no probs, they wanted to run Cedar Tree since they had never been down it, so I led the way to the northern end and we stopped at the bottom to air down.

While we were airing down some guys on MC's came along and advised that the trail is open, but a recent/current logging operation had left a bunch of trees down and partially processed laying across the trail. Apparently it was bad enough that they couldn't even get the MC's thru and had to turn back.

Knowing what it is like to do a U-turn on Cedar, let alone with 3 rigs, we decided to run the normal FB5, Saddle Up, Hogsback, Archers, 7Up, #4 Powerline set, with some side trips wherever the road led.

Got to FB5 and came up behind a large group that was a buncha friends that work for Carr autogroup. Ran behind them to the man made crawl and then got by them.

Ran FB5 fine, lower Saddle Up, then ran Hogsback (first time on it since the work party)

That is going to be one sweet trail once it settles in, but it needs to be one way as was determined when we met of all things, a 2nd Gen Outback, with a 2" lift, on Geolanders (lol) going the other way.

He had to grind a 1/4" off his calipers to get the wheels for his oversize tires to fit, and as far as he knows he is the only guy wheeling a 2nd Gen. (first one I've seen so far) Love the front bumper on that thing, very unique.

We got him backed into an open area and got by, stopping for lunch (and a little H3 trashing) at the viewpoint just before end of trail.

Finished it up, and stopped at the bottom to pick the next trail. Settled on Archers and started out. As Ed and I start down the road Rubi comes on radio with the disturbing message "You guys might want to come back, I have no brakes"

We get turned around and I sail back to the hairpin thinking I need to play roadblock, but all was well as she was still up on the level section of road, with brake fluid everywhere.

Thank God it hadn't happened 5 minutes of wheeling sooner or she'd have lost her brakes on the steep descent out of hogsback that ends with a 30' run of 76" width boulders for a filter (lost paint off both sliders getting the XJ into and out of Hogsback).

Turns out that at left lock when flexed the 35's that the tire folks put on and ok'ed had scrubbed into the hard line right at the fitting into the flex line and snapped the hardline off at the fitting.

Crimping didn't work, bending it back on itself 2-3 times and crimping didn't work, finally we hilifted it up and got the tire off (thanks to the awesome guy in the outback, with his 250# battery tire gun)

Working with one hilift at about 20* off vertical with a 2nd under the slider is not fun, but we did toss the tire under the pumpkin just in case.

He came along and worked his tail off with us getting the tube smashed flat enough to slow the leak so we could get to Gales Creek Shell. Great guy, never did get his name, but he was on a Subaru forum down in Southern Oregon I believe, hoping to find it to say thanks again!

Got the fluid topped back off, and since she had her son along we decided that Ed would drive hers and she would drive Eds to the station (great shot of Ed driving a TR edition with a "Silly Boys, Jeeps Are For Girls" banner)

On the way to the road out at Lyda we came across another group running P.O.R. Wheelers (Professional Off-Road) banners. Ok group with some sweet rides but seemed a bit aloof or standoffish, probably just because none of us knew each other.

Got down to Shell and got aired up, started working on it and Rubi decided to make a call.

As luck would have it, NAPA in Aloha was still open, so Ed took off like the proverbial batouta while I hung out with rubi and her son at the station.

While we were waiting this veritable fleet of XJ's pulls in, get to chatting and they are from NAXJA, heading back from a weekend event, Great meeting you guys! I'm gonna have to get off my tail and get signed up )

Also had a couple guys in Tacos stop by that had munched a tranny cooler at Sandlake, they asked about the decal so I got a chance to give CRAWL a bump )

Ed returned an hour or so later and it turns out that Napa had the FLEXIBLE line in stock, but since we needed hardline Ed had to grab an assortment of sizes, and a bender. A fabbin we did go, and 30 minutes later the lines were being bled. Ed had hit NAPA at 3 minutes to closing off a start from Gales about 45-50 minutes till! Nice Drivin Bro!

Headed out on 6 and just a few miles down the road we saw a large sedan on the other side with flashers on and hood up, with a small car with the nose smashed in, ambulance, and fire just rolling up. Passed another ambulance and a Stater heading to it so thinking someone got tore up bad. looked like the big car had died in the right lane and whoever was driving the Honda sized car just plain didn't see them on that 1/2 mile straight and plowed right into em, didn't even see any skids. Hoping they are ok.

We got to my cutoff and last I saw Ed was following Rubi to her turn off and all looked to be well.

Made for a long day with not as much wheeling as we had hoped for, but I'll tell you, I'll take a wheeling day like this over a workin day anytime ! )

Last edited:

Latest posts