• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TSL's VS Boggers

quartz

I currently have 33x12.50 TSL's but want to get a little bigger tire. Either the 36x12.50 TSL's or the 35x14.50 Boggers. We do trails and would like to get more into the rocky stuff. The tires are mounted to a CJ-5 with Dana 44's front and rear with .456 gears and Detroit Lockers. The kids are putting the pressure on to buy the Boggers because of all the knarly tread but the TSL's have worked great so far

TSL's would be an good choice... Boggers will be a huge regret. For the 36" tire I would look into the TSL SX

stick with the tsls over the boggers and I even prefer the radials over the biased ply. they flex better and ride great at 10-12 pounds. The only downside to radials is a weaker sidewall.

Why such a huge regret with Boggers?

Because they really don't work that well for most trails in the PNW. Because there is no center tread they do not hold you well on sidehills. For anything other than the mud they just don't work. And for winter driving my experiance was they SUCKED.

Boggers are fun!
img0032ir8.jpg

img0033fu6.jpg

img0036it0.jpg

Just not the best for around here.

Buy the IROKs' :awesomework:

Because they really don't work that well for most trails in the PNW. Because there is no center tread they do not hold you well on sidehills. For anything other than the mud they just don't work. And for winter driving my experiance was they SUCKED.

How about the TSL SX's, Is there any real difference between them and the TSL's

stick with the tsls over the boggers and I even prefer the radials over the biased ply. they flex better and ride great at 10-12 pounds. The only downside to radials is a weaker sidewall.

I haven't really heard to many people say they liked the radials, how do they work in snow/rock. Just don't see any out on the trail? What size did you run and on a d/d or buggy.

I'd run the LTB's if they offed a broader size offering!!! I'm currently running the 33x13.5 LTB's and have had excellent luck in all trail conditions!!! Also have a set of 33x14 Boggers,and there are DEFINITELY sidehill slippage issues!!!
IF going for 36's, I'd run the SX's; The regular TSL's also would work just fine,although sidewalls are tougher on the SX's.

I haven't really heard to many people say they liked the radials, how do they work in snow/rock. Just don't see any out on the trail? What size did you run and on a d/d or buggy.

without trying to piss anyone off I will explain why radials are best. You can air a radial down to 10 psi. to get the same result in most bias ply tires you need to go down to 3- 4 psi to get the same effect. at this low presure you increase the risk of loosing a bead dramaticly. Radials ride better period and they also absorb impact acting as a shock absorber of sorts as they tend to wrap around objects. Radials last longer simply because they use flex instead of a softer compound to gain traction. Now Bias have a tougher sidewall which is important if you play on sharp rock or rub your tires on everything. The stiffer bias tire also allows taller tires size without loosing higth when airing down. The reason so many people still run bias is because of their width. When you put a 80-84" wide rig on trails built to fit 65-75" wide rigs your going to drag your sidewalls on every root , rock , stump and tree on the trail. Also its very common to use the sidewall of the tire to climb trees to get around obsticals:booo: Something a radial just wont tolerate. These are just my opinions and observations base on 30 odd years of wheeling. I switched to radials 15 years ago and would never go back unless I was building a comp rig (and we run bias on our race rig) Been on 33s for years and now going to 35s with the new build its not a DD but a jeep thats street legal but dedicated as a play rig.

How about the TSL SX's, Is there any real difference between them and the TSL's

I can't tell you how much better the SX works compaired to a TSL. I can tell you the benifits of having the SX are stronger sidewalls. The tread design is pretty much the same. Also the tread is a little taller in the SX I think.

Stay away from the boogers unless you like straight line mud runs or wanna groove the **** out of a brand new tire. I have ran both radials and bias they both work really well up here but the side wall is definitely weaker on the radial
Ive personally stuck with the bias just for that reason you never know when your going to hit the side wall on something under the mud and I don't like doing trail repairs in the mud. just my 2 cents converted from Canada

quartz,

Who be you man? And where you located?

I've got a set of 35 Boggers that you can trial run if you want. Little damage deposit (fully refundable upon return of my tires and wheels) and go play. If you like, you can buy 'em real reasonable. If you no like, just bring 'em back and I'll give all your money back.

35 Boggers, 14.5 Wide, 15 wheels, on Chrome spokes, 5 on 5.5 bolts pattern.

TreeClimber,
Port Orchard

38X11.5X16 Boggers are the ONLY tire you should ever own!!! or at least that is what i was told by some guy at a wedding:rolleyes: :looser: they are better that the IROKs by FAR:haha: :haha: :haha:

but seriously though.... If it were a shoice between a basic tsl and bogger, i would choose a tsl, due to the "sidehill" support of the center lugs... For a while when i was first looking at tires i really thought it would be fun to try a mixed set of tsl's up front and boggers in the rear... i always thought that looked kinda cool:cool: now i just get mass amounts of IROKs and call it good.:redneck: 3 pairs for two rigs... you do the math:D

I wish the IROKs had better sidewall traction though. This is where the LTBs rock but they're got a huge gap is sizes. IIRC, nothing between the 34x10.50 and about 49". If they made a 40" LTB I'd run those in a heartbeat.

I put the 34x10.50 LTBs on my son's Willys and someday, I'll get to wheel it...

buy tsl bias, sx if you can afford them. dont buy radials, they suck. radials dont let go of mud, slice easily, dont conform, they stay flat across the tread area, and cost more. radial == junk

sxs have saved my day wheeling more than once. wish they made a 42sx.:beer:

I have watched more radials get shredded around here (north idaho & spokane) than I can count. I have even been that victem in the past myself and decided to get boggers. I'm a rare breed I guess cause I love my boggers but they do have down sides I'll admit. Go out wheeling on the trails you love with a big group and see what works best for yourself, thats my 2 cents!