• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tube Bender? JD2 still best bang 4 the buck?

Bones

That Guy
Friend is wanting one for their side business and I figure JD2 is still a good one to get and P has bent a lot of tube with that bender (I even did my crappy exo with that one moons ago), plus they sell them right here in Iowa. Just a standard manual bender, no fancy hydro setups.

Let me know ASAP so I can fwd it to him

Link to the Model 3, I would suggest just the bender (handle included) and what dies he wants. Maybe the kit for $400 plus dies also?? http://www.vansantent.com/model_3_bender.htm

Re: Tupbe Bender? JD2 still best bang 4 the buck?

blacksheep10 said:
another local dude was looking at pro bender
fair amount more coin too. Likely go JD and see if we can go pick it up. Excuse for a short road trip.

I plan on the JD2 one day, probably save for the model 4 with elec/hydro the first time and bve done with it. They are about 40 minutes from me in Johnson City TN

blacksheep10 said:
a power bender for $500?
http://www.probender.com/Pro3bender.htm
does the JD2 come with dies then?
I thought you were talking pro tools, sorry.

That looks nice for the $$ and you can get it to use JD or pro tool dies. JD does not come with dies.

I have the JD2 Model 3. And Love it. I have the 1.5 and 1.75 Dies. Maybe one day I will come off the money and go hydro...

Dad has the JD2 hydraulic and it works nice with the 1 3/4, 1 1/2, and 1" dies. I have the manual with sguare dies for 1 1/2 and 1" tube and they work nice.

I've got a Pro-tools 105 converted with a HF ram,works great.
100_0898.jpg

Verona Customs said:
I've got a Pro-tools 105 converted with a HF ram,works great.
100_0898.jpg

More pictures of your setup. I would like to find a cheaper way to go hydro. The air over hydro kit is costly.

I have a pro tools 105HD. I bend 7/8's pins all the time bending .188 1.75, also broke the strap block off the die. Another guy in the club has a jd2, he's bent .250 wall 1.75 and never bent/broke anything with 3/4 pins.

rock mafia said:
I have a pro tools 105HD. I bend 7/8's pins all the time bending .188 1.75, also broke the strap block off the die. Another guy in the club has a jd2, he's bent .250 wall 1.75 and never bent/broke anything with 3/4 pins.

I've also bent 1.75 and some smaller .250 wall with mine and didnt break anything. I know Kelly ( blacksheep ) has broke the strap block off his die before too.

caglezxj said:
More pictures of your setup. I would like to find a cheaper way to go hydro. The air over hydro kit is costly.

I have the same exact set up. Pro -Tools HD bender (5/8 thick arms). The "air over hydraulic" kit is from copper head fabrication. The bracket kit they sell is 99$ and the ram is a $109 from northern tool. Instead of a foot pedal to hold there is a little hand held button you hold which is effortless. Just beware, the bracket kit I received from Copperhead fabrication required ALOT of clean up work as every hole was offset oe had burrs secondary to being "burned" rather than drilled. Nothing like having to re-drill holes that have had the surrounding metal "hardened" from the burn process.... Cheap . YES. Does it work good. Yes. Will you have do extra work with the kit. Possibly to clean up the holes...If I had to do it offer I would still use it over the full hydro kit offered by Pro-tools for the best for the buck..

Oh, and as ROck Mafia said, I have bent pins, broke athe strap block of the side of a die (1.75 die) when bending .188 wall DOM in my PRO -TOOLS BENDER. I fixed the strrap tab and added a gusset which took care of that problem. After I did that I started bedning pins. granted this is when I had the bender set-up for manual bending. I have not tried bending .188 wall with this particular kit as shown above.. It might work better since the pins I bent before are no longer used with this particular kit.

rock mafia said:

Jim, Have you come up with anything to stop benind pins? Get some made and hardened??

I bought the ram and drew out the brackets on some scrap.
100_0932.jpg

100_0933.jpg

I haven't bent anything thicker than .120/1.75 yet .

Got a interesting hydro set up for ya. Ours uses a one way pump. Buddy built it to run off his pumps for the lifts. Hydro in the rear port and air in the front with a 3 way vavle on the back. Bend adn let the air take it back. Might be an idea if any one has a lift or cheep hydro pump from a old hoopty or something.Also on a JD bender and just bent some 1.5 .250 no problem.

Toddy

badreligion_13 said:
Jim, Have you come up with anything to stop benind pins? Get some made and hardened??

No. I started using 7/8's hitch pins from tractor supply, they seem to last a little longer and are cheap. I've tried grade 5 bolts, they bend too, need to try gr 8's.

It's not a big deal on single bends, but on multi plan bends, it tends to throw things off.