• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tube notcher suggestions for home shop

Truckin222

I'm looking for a tube notcher.
Budget is definitely a consideration but I am leery of the harbor freight things...
It will be used at least at first for smaller projects, tube doors, adding to an existing cage, bumpers etc.
A full cage/chassis may be in the future but not any time real soon.

I have only ever used a JD2 notcher about 15 years ago to build my ugly ass exo cage so that's my reference point.
I am looking at maybe getting another one of these but wanted some feedback from you guys with more experience.

I do like that Swag seems to have adressed some of the shortcomings of the JD2 we had back in the day.

Any help would be appreciated.

If this has been discussed here recently, sorry. I tried to search but it was all really old posts...

Ive ran the hell out of my JMR notcher. Its probably not the best thing out, but i have no complaints. Its notched a lot of tube!
Only issue id address is the drgree numbers in the black anodized piece are hard to see, after a few hundred notches the numbers are almost not visible at all now from moving it around with metal chips ground up in it. Not a huge deal, just hard to see.

I really like my ProTools notcher. The JD Notch Master looks awesome too.
hsn501i.jpg

I got some woodward fab one to start with because it was cheap. It didn't last long.

Been using my Versa notcher for a few years now with no issue.

I have that JD2 notcher with the Swag Goat Foot and the Reach Around. This combo allows you to really some crazy deep angle notches, just break off material part way through when using normal short hole saws. The Goat Foot helps when putting notches in bends.

This notcher also holds flat stock, square tube. Really helped when I made motor mounts for my tube chassis. I have been able to pretty much figure out any kind of notch I have come across. I would buy this combo again.

I have also attached this notcher to the chassis to do my final cuts or to add intersection points.

Thanks for all the input.
That Versa notcher looks sweet.
The JD2 with the goat and the reach around:oops: are basically the same price as the versa.
As listed the capabilities seem similar also.
Anyone have experience with both?
Preference or pros/cons to either one?

I have both i i use the versa more then the jd i like being able to cut at any angle the versa will allow you to cut some the spin around and cut without turing the pipe works great on funky bends

I have the pro tools one as well. While it is a quality piece of equipment, it does not do notches in bends which I think is a point against it. I have been looking at getting a different notcher that will work on bends etc so I this thread is great tech i think.

Yeah, the build co guillotine notcher looks really nice, but at $550 it's getting a bit above my budget.
The pro tools one looks a lot like the JD2 I used, and not being able to notch near a bend was a PIA.
Also the limited angle of notch made it less usable IMO....

No direct experience (use my milling machine) but the RogueFab Versa Notcher looks real nice too:

Latest posts