• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Two way radios

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
Anybody use the handheld radios on the trail. I have a CB in my rig but I think it would be more convienent to have a handhelds and my phone doesn't get service everywhere I ride. It would also be nice to have them in the truck and give one to a buddy in his truck and then I don't have to mess with my phone just to say "let's pull over I gotta piss" or "I need to stop and check straps or tires".
Thought I'd see if anybody else has experience with them on the trails and which ones ya got. I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I was going to use it on ammo but then I got this idea and thought I'd use it for this.

Puxing PX-777

They run about $75/piece on eBay or less if you buy more than one. easy to program. I call them disposables, because it you destroy or lose one its not the end of the world. Vs. losing or destroying a +$400 Kenwood from PCI or Rugged.

We have a pile in the race trailer as well as use them at home. My son (7) grabs one if he runs down the street to his friends, so we can call him home, or rides his bike up to the corner store.

How well do they work on the trail? We have tried some before (cheaper ones) but they didn't work for ****. Definitely didn't work in some places that have a lot of hills.

I run CB radios. But am seriously considering these.

$_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-MU354R-35-Mile-Range-22-Channel-FRS-GMRS-Two-Way-Bluetooth-Radio-Grey-/291223846711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ce4b3f37

Should bluetooth to my helmet stereo also.

Re:

The more people that have them the more effective they would be because you could relay the message. Would also be nice to be able to get calls for help when I'm not around the CB in my rig but a couple sites down drinking beer. I love rescue missions.

I use handhelds! I don't have a cb so I usually run the lead or tail gunner I hand my other to the opposite end of the group. They work awesome. Cost me $50 for a pair. They work very well. 3/4 of a mile on the trails.

Downside: my buddies have dropped 2 in the same damn water hole at different trips so I had to replace them. Long as you secure them well, no worries :)

My buddy that I wheel with works for a company that installs radios in cop cars, ambulance ect. I have one in my rig and we can talk for miles clear as a bell. He also has hand held that probably work a couple miles at least. I can be at Harlan in middle fork and talk to him in everts without issues, pricy about $500 for the radios but when you can talk 10 plus miles away it's awesome. :****:

Re:

Whatever you do don't buy the junk models from home depot. At work we have 12 Kenwoods that work great but then again their not cheap

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Yeah when I drove a wrecker we had radios and we could talk clear across the city
The old Motorola sets is what we used to be dispatched from our shop with when I drove trucks locally but the old Nextel phones would work in places you didn't expect or even want them too.

I got Cobra hand held FMRS radios for hunting and when I used to ride around our property on a four wheeler. It had limited range but in a group it would work and it worked great when you wanted to harass your hunting partner.

Latest posts