• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ultimate tow rig?

I don't know what to add other than having had a 1 ton and now a 450 there is no hype the 450 stops better 2 to 1 and never feels overloaded the rearend is massive as well as the suspension in general. If you are going to use it like you say... I would def consider buying over 1 ton
I love my 450, but I replaced (at considerable expense) all the items that ford messed with on the motor IE injectors, egr, fueling

EOR MFG said:
I don't know what to add other than having had a 1 ton and now a 450 there is no hype the 450 stops better 2 to 1 and never feels overloaded the rearend is massive as well as the suspension in general. If you are going to use it like you say... I would def consider buying over 1 ton
I love my 450, but I replaced (at considerable expense) all the items that ford messed with on the motor IE injectors, egr, fueling
Sooooooooo, 450 with a cummins?

P said:
laughing1 I was about to say, Travis has the ultimate tow rig. :afro:

The only thing I would like to still do, is to bag the rear suspension. It is a rough riding SOB, especially unloaded. But now with the cummins and a 6spd, I should have a fairly reliable truck.

DSC01320.jpg

4500 was a poor quality truck, new is 05 was always in the shop for electrical stuff. Full of rattles, bad milage?nd only has a duramax, nice cab height and good vis. No carpet and shitty seats.. Cost like a nice pickup. Semi is way more bang for the buck.

Travis said:
The only thing I would like to still do, is to bag the rear suspension. It is a rough riding SOB, especially unloaded. But now with the cummins and a 6spd, I should have a fairly reliable truck.

What did you do for the bed? I could imagine bags would be almost mandatory for the rear to drive unloaded and for better load control. I totally dig the 6.7, but having a 5.9 sitting in the shop would be too tempting to use. It currently has a Getrag and 205 behind it, that would have to change.

As far as custom drivetrains, what aftermarket autos would be available that would mate to a commonly available, strong t-case? Allison truck auto would work behind most anything with a divorced 205, but that is a lot of length, work, and PITA.

Brian, thanks for the info on the Chevrolets, I thought there might be a cause for poor sales compared to the Fords or Dodges. I think the 4x4's look sweet with a pickup bed, but that is a lot of money for a lack of power, auto that needs to be upgraded, and bad interior.

The bed is a stock dually bed. It was put on by Manning Equipment in KY. They basically put the bed on where it should go in relation to the wheelbase, then they build a small filler panel to take up the gap between the cab and bed. Most people never even notice it.

I would have put a 5.9 CR, if I hadn't run across a deal on this 6.7. If I was dead set on using an auto, I'd probably get a BTS 4r100.

Rumor is that Dodge will be releasing a mega cab long bed with the new 2010 model; doubt they make a 5500 mega cab though. Welder up some 5500 axles and peel out. :fish:

I think any full size turns tighter than my P Wagon, probably even the 450 with the Cummins. laughing1 The man must have decreased the turning to keep from replacing shafts on my unlimited warranty.

If this had a crew cab:

P.jpg

These are plentiful and cheap, utility and flatbed:

450.jpg

Crew cab 4x4 version of this would be pimp:

encl%20utitlity.jpg

I have seen several crew cabs, but never a crew cab 4x4. A lot of them have small engines too. Guess I could buy about three diferent trucks and welder em up. loller.gif

Got back for Alb, NM tonite. The Volvo did 7.7 into the wind on friday nite and 10.2 with a little tailwind coming home today. 3 rigs in the trailer. Feet on the dash, watching a movie and the cruize set, never stopped either direction for fuel!

wow, 10 weighing at least 30K isn't bad at all :eek:
bryan is looking for something that'll get in and out of jobsites as well. I can sympathize because a lot of what we go on as excavators is pretty shitty as well. 4wd is pretty much a requirement, as are tires that will let you not just **** and fall in it.

I know where you can get a 2003 F-250 four door all leather,Edge,22" wheels,some kind of big tires,little over 100,000 miles,goose neck ball,trailor brakes,4.88 gears,All engine work needed to be done by Ford done,This truck will pull anything,ready for a new home.PM for more info.

we got some new info at the dealership where i work . there are plans for a 2010 mega cab long bed but the body might change . also they dont know how long they will have a cummins power plant . dodge has there own diesel in the works for the 1500,2500 3500. 4500 , 5500. will have ops. like cat , bens,cummins , they have had a metric **** ton of problems with the 6.7 . we have had at least 6 in the last month all needing motors

Latest posts