• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Upgrading drivetrain in cj5

09zkrankin

I am looking at trading my xj for a '74 cj5. It has been bobbed behind the drivers seats, linked, wheelbase is at around 105". It comes with a chevy dana 60 and 14 bolt ff. It still has the stock 236 (?) T14 trans/dana 20 t case.

I like the idea of being able to engage front only on the dana 20 and the dana 300's. My question is what would be the easiest and most economocal drivetrain swap? With everything this project needs I nedd to keep this swap cheap. I like the idea of a sbc because they are plentiful, and simple to work on. But have also thought about using a newer jeep 4.0 but am unsure on what setups I could use to end up drivers side drop.

So what suggestions do you have for the new powertrain? I will be installing the tons under it and hope to run from 37"-42" tires

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

1974 CJ 5 is a passenger drop Dana 20. Chevy 350, th350 and a 205 case would be a passenger drop option. The 350 V8 is shorter than your 6 but the auto is longer and the 205 is strong but huge.
I have a 1974 CJ5 I have a 4.0 T-18 and a Dana 20. The transmission and Transfer case are very compact but the in-line 6 is longer than most V8s. The plan is to have a reliable drivetrain, it is hard tear up a Dana 20 with a 4.0.
If I did the swap again, I would use a V8 even an old 360.
Edit:
I assumed you had Chevy Dana 60......

Re:

Yea it is a chevy dana 60. I didn't realize that the 4.0 would bolt right up. I love the 4.0 and the way they rev, and know where a few on them are so I think I will go that route. Seems like it would be easiest with what Ive got already

you have to add the crank angle sensor hole to your bell housing. I would just find a wrangler drive train. It would be a drivers drop. 4 to 1 available for the transfer case and pretty reliable if you are not racing or bouncing.

Re:

I installed a 5.2L from a 95 grand cherokee in my cj5. Stock 46rh trans, dana 300 bolts right too trans with a $50 spacer/clocking ring. Motor is fuel injected and only need to splice 4 or 5 wires to make it run. Computer will have to come factory equiped with out alarm though or will start and shut down. I pulled a computer from a 95 ram truck. Sbc has unlimited after market support and options but i had access to the 5.2 and you dont see them swapped everyday.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Re:

I've been researching on ton today and right now I am leaning heavily towards a 4.0. I found one I can get with engine, harness and computer for $300 from a cherokee. The offset fan isn't a problem because I will be deleting it and running dual elec fans on an aluminum radiator. I am a machinist by trade so machining the bell housing for the cps is no biggie. The only thing that scares me is thining and splicing the harness. Would it be easier to just run the cherokee harness for the engine and then re wire everything else on toggles? This thing Is pretty much a juggy so there isn't a whole kot of wiring i don't think

Keep in mind, where the crank position sensor is placed in the bell housing is important. at little up hill or down hill will advance or retard the timing.
I think the 5.2 ,auto and dana 300 would be a fun combo.

Re:

Well I met the guy and it turned out he had 3/4 ton axles and not 1 tons, and the jeel was pretty much junk, so I didn't trade. Just gonna keep looking and if nothing pops up ill build mine