• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

usb port for buggy

1tfrot

I've decided that I want to add a usb port (or 2) in the buggy. will be perfect for hooking up the gopro and also charging a cell phone when in those areas that drain the battery from roaming and whatnot.

any advice/recommendations? so many choices on amazon, but not sure what is cheap and what isn't. I've been looking at waterproof ones designed for a boat.

or should I go a different route? definitely don't want to go the "cigarette lighter" route since they're a pain in an open vehicle.

thanks

if this needs to be in tech instead, then please move it and sorry. wasn't sure which area to put it.

Re:

I just use a cigarette lighter adapter. Plug regular USB cord into that. This is granted you have a cigarette lighter socket.

Just 2 wires to add one.

no socket to plug into.

will be making a tab to mount the usb port under the dash somewhere out of the way, but easy to get to

TBItoy said:
I'd just pick one that says it's made for a boat

Not a super critical or expensive item.

was thinking that, but wanted to ask. if $12 is a garbage one and $20+ gets me a good one, I'm ok with that. :)

Blue sea has a real nice one that fits in a carling switch spot (think ARB switch)

https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-1039-dual-usb-charger-contura?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2fLGBRDopP-vg7PLgvsBEiQAUOnIXBupNzbQ-h2eLIDUL3oRABgFU3-b2riBdkSSZ_qyWAEaAspm8P8HAQ

1tfrot said:
thanks Chris. how long have you had it? any issues with charging? I'll be getting one with probably 2 ports so the gopro will always have a home and then a 2nd one for whatever

Hmm couple years. It has 2 ports, 1A and 2.1A.