• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Used Mac Book

Toddy

My oldest is getting to the point in school where she needs a lap top. Will a used Mac book be a better option then a new Windows unit? Not sold on either one just know the Mac's are less likely to get cobbled up with **** like the Windows units.

What should I look for in a used Mac? Never have one and don't have a clue what I'm looking at or do I know much about the Windows units either.

Look for a used MacBook Pro. Better guts and better case (more durable). My laptop is a 2008 MacBook Pro and it is just now getting towards the end of its life cycle.

The biggest hurdle i've found for Macs is lack of software. If your child uses any special educational software school, I'd make sure it has mac compatibility before hand.

X2 on software that was my only complaint. Other than that mine lasted 8 years before it finally died. Now im lucky to get a year out of a windows computer.

I use parallel desktop to use Windows softwares. No problems that way.

Go Lenovo! I just bought a new Lenovo loaded with some good **** for a little over $500 earlier this year. Fastest computer I've ever been on. It's twice the pc than that of my work pc which is an HP Probook. I will never buy another Dell or HP pc, but am pretty sold on Lenovo's. They make lots of business pc's, all good reviews across the board online about Lenovos. The specific model I got was the only one I found that did not have any negative reviews amongst other computers around the $500 range. Think it was about $540 shipped. If it lasts me 5 years, I'll have well gotten my money's worth. I've never been sold on Mac stuff enough to try them, so I'm kind of biased I suppose.

TacomaJD said:
Go Lenovo! I just bought a new Lenovo loaded with some good **** for a little over $500 earlier this year. Fastest computer I've ever been on. It's twice the pc than that of my work pc which is an HP Probook. I will never buy another Dell or HP pc, but am pretty sold on Lenovo's. They make lots of business pc's, all good reviews across the board online about Lenovos. The specific model I got was the only one I found that did not have any negative reviews amongst other computers around the $500 range. Think it was about $540 shipped. If it lasts me 5 years, I'll have well gotten my money's worth. I've never been sold on Mac stuff enough to try them, so I'm kind of biased I suppose.

x2 Run my point of sale and reporting software and use it 8-10 hours per day.

I've had a MacBook Pro since 2011 (Junior year of HS) and I don't have any complaints. I'm a senior in college now and use it everyday. Really easy to use and will do anything you want it to. I have the Microsoft Office package on it (Word, Excel, etc.) and use it for all of my college stuff. I don't think I'd ever buy another brand of laptop as far as school goes.