• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Using a plasma cutter

Eddyj

So I've had a Hypertherm 30 for the last 5 or so years. Used it for 100 projects and cut everything from 1/2 to aluminum diamond plate. I also used it to cut all the 3/8 link tabs on my buggy to "save money"'(don't do that, just pay the $6 for precut Tabs). I've upgraded to a Hypertherm 45 and it is a lot nicer than the 30. I would like to make better cuts then just free hand. I started out using welding clamps to hold angle as a guide, then I bought the magnetic tool hold from harbor freight and use that as guide.
Anyone have any tricks or better techniques?
Or neat guides they use?

I clamp a metal yard stick on with vice grips for straight parts. For round or radius I have washers up to 4". I however had a buddy build me a table so hopefully my free hand days are over.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I use those squares but probably use the harbour freight aluminum yard stick and small square the most. When using a strait edge I mark then strike a fat line with a chisel tip sharpie. Then I move the strait edge to the outside of my mark and it is the perfect standoff for my drag tip.

These combined with a drag tip are great for cutting circles.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Plasma-Circle-Cutter-_p_45.html

2b956b86d53dbae24f1d156143fc1451.jpg

Get a 3-4' stick of 3/8" thick by 1" wide aluminum, it'll float and guide the torch tip real nice. ;)

croes said:
Get a 3-4' stick of 3/8" thick by 1" wide aluminum, it'll float and guide the torch tip real nice. ;)

That's what I use at work with one of the little 50A chinese plasma cutters with the small torch/consumables.

works well.

I also have framing squares and speed squares that I put #10-32 bolts in as stand offs, and drilled holes in to fit the plasma tip

Jduck said:
Yup, a cnc table

Been doing some research on them lately.....like Eddy, i bought a Hypertherm 45XP recently. Any recommended brands? or brands to stay away from?

Seems like you can really get some junk and some headaches if you arent careful. Thinking in the 4'x4' range.

bbtank45 said:
Been doing some research on them lately.....like Eddy, i bought a Hypertherm 45XP recently. Any recommended brands? or brands to stay away from?

Seems like you can really get some junk and some headaches if you arent careful. Thinking in the 4'x4' range.

I have a Wright CNC 4x4 table and I love it. It's perfect for what I do and I have had zero problems out of it. I got it up and running very quickly and without any issue.

https://wrightcnc.com/collections/cnc-machines/products/wright-cnc4x4-plasma-table

bbtank45 said:

I've got a torchmate I bought second hand 8-9yrs ago. It's been for the most part trouble free, very simple to set up and get running. Who ever you go with make sure they have good tech support.