• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

valve stem solutions in humvee wheels

skipnrocks

What do you guys do. I have a set of 8 bolt humvee rims with welded on rim guards. I used the short stem to clear the rock ring but then its a huge pita to get air tools in. I bought a set of the gorilla 45 degree stems and their bend is just a hair too close to the rim and it wont allow an air tool in. I know lots of guys run these so what can we do. I picked up some longer stems but they are hitting the ring and hard to get a tool on to.

I have two set of 8 bolts and just used a basic short valve stem off the shelf from the local auto parts store. One set has pvc inserts the other set has cut down rubber inserts with a notch for the air to go in. Half rings on one, full rings on the other. No issues using a push on style air chuck. :dunno:

I used 6" brass valve stems used on big rigs and bent them in a 45 degree. Drilled a hole in the rim and welded up the stock hole. I had the same issue you are having and hated trying to get an air chuck in behind the ring.

These are 12 bolts, but same thing.

Thats funny thats what I ended up finally doing. but I drilled the hole out on the factory place and got a two inch stem and put a 45 in it so its protected by the ring but easy to access. I did have the stubby stem with the 45 degree extensions but it left it unprotected and had troubles not having a slow leak. With yours drilled into the rim further back did you have to notch the insert to get it in and out over the stem. I assume you had to drill a larger hole for access in the insert.