• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

VIN number for a buggy

WAMort

I just got back from a State Patrol inspection with a new Washington State issued VIN number for my buggy :D

here's what was involved with my situation;

Step 1 is to call the State Patrol and schedule a homebuilt vehicle inspection.

While you are waiting 4-6 weeks for your appointment gather some info for your homebuilt vehicle.

Engine VIN - know where it is and have your facts straight, the block only has 9 digits of the VIN. You will need to do some detective work to get the rest of the VIN.

Run the VIN for stolen or salvage status. The National Insurance Crime Bureau has a free search you can use. Here is the link;

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

if you have a 1981 or later VIN (17 digits) run a Carfax report also.

They asked how many miles were on the engine and the Carfax report has that info from the last sale.

Transmission VIN - know where it is and have it accessible. They want to verify it.

After they verified the VIN's, they will attach an "Assigned Identification Number" to your vehicle. The VIN numbers of the Engine and
Transmission will be associated with this new VIN.

The also give you a "Statement of Fact" letter that you will take to your local licensing department and get your ORV tags.

It took a couple of hours for the inspection since I wasn't ready for them to verify the VIN's but they were cool about waiting to gain access.

:awesomework:

what do you mean by waiting to gain access? You didn't have to drop the tranny or anything did you?

I'm assuming by the post that engine and trans are the only two components thay are worried about a VIN?

Also which WSP inspection station did you use?

So when you bought the buggy from James there was no "title" (it would be token I know)with it...just the physical buggy itself? You went to WSP and said "I purchased this ORV/vehicle and would like to............."

I see the "home built vehicle" part but just curious about the whole purchase,out of state thing

Last edited:
no title from James, all he had was an Oregon ORV tag on the buggy

here's what I took to the Marysville State Patrol Inspection Station

bill of sale in hand with VIN numbers for engine and trans

I researched the correct VIN's from the 9 digit VIN's on both the trans and engine

I had a Carfax report on the engine

The inspection consisted of the State Patrol looking at the engine and trans 9 digit VINs

Just had to remove some of the panels to let them view the VIN areas

There is lots of info on the web concerning where VINs are stamped

The trans was a 1971 and it even had a the 9 digit VIN which really surprised me

Hope this helps

and yes all I said was "I wanted a VIN so I could get an ORV tag"

the inspector was very familar with this request and very helpful in getting it done

and what about the tube frame, axles, etc.? when i went down they wanted a proof of where most everything came from, i.e vins. i told them that a rod and custom place in town built the chassis and his reply was , where did he get the metal? in a smart ass voice!

and what about the tube frame, axles, etc.? when i went down they wanted a proof of where most everything came from, i.e vins. i told them that a rod and custom place in town built the chassis and his reply was , where did he get the metal? in a smart ass voice!

If you still want to be 100% legit, you might want to plan a trip to the Marysville State Patrol Inspection Station.:;

That's where I'll be going.:beer:

never asked for anything else and I had a pile of reciepts from James

I was ready for any question on any component

All he asked for was the diameter of tubing and the size of tires

this info was listed on the "statement of fact" letter

maybe I got lucky

bill of sale in hand......

P.S. - This ^^^ could very well be the key determining factor in different experiences. (aside from his ravishing good looks:D) And, I will assume Wayne will have to pay taxes on the purchase amount. ???

Wayne was getting a VIN # for ORV tabs on a vehicle he bought.

Wayne.....input on this perspective?

I think you hit the nail on the head

I first handed him the bill of sale with the VIN numbers listed and said I had a bunch of reciepts from the previous owner. He didn't want to see the reciepts at all.

The tax man will be well compensated for that VIN # :(

I remember posting something a while back about my dad getting VIN tags and registration for a costco style full suspension go kart so he could get ORV tabs and legally use it in certain areas (such as our private camp ground) in the same manner.

There were no VIN numbers anywhere on it, so he stamped his own into the engine block (his numerical birthday) and they used that. He didnt even have a receipt for the go kart because he bought it used. They were really laid back about it.

~T.J.

So, I have been reading thru this thread, and others in my research on this subject.

I decided to take a drive today, and talk directly with an inspector.

He informed me that mainly they are just interested in motor, and tranny numbers, and receipts for the tubing that the frame was built with. Notorized receipts are best.

He also said that in a couple years they are likely to change the laws regarding homebuilt frames/chassis, and will probably require a notorized statement from the welder, and that the welder would have to be certified.

Anymore info, and tips is appreciated.