• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Vortec distributor wiring (97 GM motor)/ rev limit box

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
Before i dive into this, has anyone messed with one of these before? The instructions are showing different color wires than whats on my motor. My 3 plug connector on the distributor has a solid pink wire, a brown with black(or maybe it was white?)stripe, and lastly a pink with black stripe.

The MSD instructions show the wire colors coming out of the distributor in their diagrams as pink, black and brown. I tried calling MSD but "Josh" just seemed to ramble on about 12 different wire colors and tried to get me off the phone ASAP. I cut my loses and just said "thanks".

I've searched for images on the net, but haven't really seen anything that's a definite YES/NO. I'm sure trial and error can get it done, but friendly advice would be appreciated.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/RPM/Timing_Controls/RPM_Controls/8728_-_Soft_Touch_Rev_Control.aspx

Not sure if you can make it work...from.what ive seen the pcm
controls the rev control....should be around5600...the color
of the wires are correct...probly why msd couldn't help you..

Re: Re: Vortec distributor wiring (97 GM motor)/ rev limit box

Looks like I'm on my own with this. Jus got off phone with summit. Basically said "break out the multimeter and have fun".

Re: Re: Vortec distributor wiring (97 GM motor)/ rev limit box

Probably is....but I believe its a fuel cut. Id rather it cut spark and not have it fall on its face when it hits it.

I think I got it figured out....I think I was jus over complicating it. No surprise there.

The pcm is still going to control the rev...fuel or spark either way when the motor is on the control it will react the same ..

It might work..dont get me wrong i am not trying to knock what you are doing just give helpful.advice..i hope you can make it work..post the outcome

Well.....after the humidity goin' down to under 500%, i'm happy to report I got it figured out and installed.

Red wire to switched 12v
Black to ground
Green and white wires off MSD box tied together and spliced into the white wire WITH the black stripe on the coil terminal plug on the vehicle harness.
Purple was not used.

Works great! I've got the dial for the "plug ins" and I mounted it where I can reach it from the drivers seat. 3,000 to 5600rpms at the turn of a dial.

Re: Re: Re: Vortec distributor wiring (97 GM motor)/ rev limit box

JRowe said:
I've got a 98 vortec motor. Were you hitting the limiter a lot ?
No....I've just had bad experiences with fuel cut limiters in the past.

Polly useless to some but it's piece of mind for me.

Re:

tonybolton said:
Cuz imma puss.... I think 5600 was stock...or close to it.
You know, with the added spark, you can probably make Sheila hill. Of course that's if you're tied to the back of me molaugh

I have 96 vortex I. My s10. When I get to the top of a long steep hill it will not die but act like its running out of fuel. Same thing g happens if i. On a steep incline bouci g around. I'll give it gas .it will start to take off and then it acts like the fuel gets shut off ??
Is this what yours was doing ? Ps. Im not out of fuel and engine does not die