• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Walker 5/5/12

Yotakid

Anyone want to run Walker on Saturday? Thinking of getting to the staging area around 9:30. Just need to get out in the woods for a while.

I would, but Jim's leaving for MOAB the 9th, and we still need to button a few things up...:redneck:

The mainline "IS" closed right now and will be for a while. It washed out and into the river below. It will remain closed until the weather dries up and they can repair the damage.

IMO it has nothing to do with the switchback bypass. I'm up there alot and have watched this section deteriorate.

It appears to me that with all the spring rain and traffic on the trail...a natural spring has come to the surface. Combine the heavy traffic on the trail and a steady supply of water and you have the colossal mess that section has become.

The switchback cut is a conenient scapegoat but has done nothing to contibute to the mess.

IMO it has nothing to do with the switchback bypass. I'm up there alot and have watched this section deteriorate.

It appears to me that with all the spring rain and traffic on the trail...a natural spring has come to the surface. Combine the heavy traffic on the trail and a steady supply of water and you have the colossal mess that section has become.

The switchback cut is a conenient scapegoat but has done nothing to contibute to the mess.

Thanks Mauler, I was just passing on what came down the line to me and the by-passes was one of the reasons. Like you said a convenient scapegoat. It has got to be quite a mess in that section for sure.

* Just re-read my prior post.... What I meant was the sediment delivery was in the area of the switchback, not because of the switchback:mad:

Last edited:
If im thinking of the right area then it has been getting progressively worse for a while now.

I might be heading up there saturday to make sure the new locker i installed is working properly. I probably wont make a for sure decision until tomorrow evening or saturday morning.

Thanks Mauler, I was just passing on what came down the line to me and the by-passes was one of the reasons. Like you said a convenient scapegoat. It has got to be quite a mess in that section for sure.

* Just re-read my prior post.... What I meant was the sediment delivery was in the area of the switchback, not because of the switchback:mad:

Yeah....No worries:beer:

I'll be up there this weekend.I plan to really check out the section and try to see whats up. I'd be down for some work party time if we can get this area fixed and the trail reopened.

If im thinking of the right area then it has been getting progressively worse for a while now.

I might be heading up there saturday to make sure the new locker i installed is working properly. I probably wont make a for sure decision until tomorrow evening or saturday morning.

Gonna be up there providing chase support to the wife as she RAGES around on her dirtbike:D Perhaps I'll see you:beer:

no problem:hi:.

My understanding is volunteers will be needed to fix it, but won't be till the dry season. And for volunteering you'd be able to contact someone off the dnr site

x2.....The mess is a ways below the switchback in question where the trail has been repaired in the past. I don't see a short term fix short of just filling it all with rock. It may just take time for it to dry out.:cheer:
And yes that section of trail is currently closed.:booo:

Is this from every one making a straight path through the windy trails? God Damn I hate straight lines unless it is car size boulders :mad: Oops didn't see the other post posts on this.Let me know if there is a Sunday work party and I will be there with a shovel in hand.

Last edited: