• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Walker Oct 9th...

I'm not talking directly at you OilCan......your post just makes a good discussion topic.:beer:

oh and this is new, some on has made a short cut threw the switch backs. looks kind of fun but didnt have time to block it off
2010-10-09_16-38-32_153.jpg

It's not new and blocking this cut-off is POINTLESS. And I'd imagine that more folks use it to go down than up. When you drive up it, the tree on the right intrudes on your A-pillar.:;Ask me how I know.

I'd say a better approach would be to make it a SUSTAINABLE OPTION to the switch-back.:awesomework:

I'd say a better approach would be to make it a SUSTAINABLE OPTION to the switch-back.:awesomework:

That's 25' of trail that could be put somewhere else more fun.....Block that ****!....Besides people just need to learn to not be so stupid and do crap like that. :rolleyes:

That's 25' of trail that could be put somewhere else more fun.....Block that ****!....Besides people just need to learn to not be so stupid and do crap like that. :rolleyes:

If only logic would work:mad:.....you know that's not going to happen, right?

I'm not talking directly at you OilCan......your post just makes a good discussion topic.:beer:

It's not new and blocking this cut-off is POINTLESS. And I'd imagine that more folks use it to go down than up. When you drive up it, the tree on the right intrudes on your A-pillar.:;Ask me how I know.

Jim didn't even know that was there. after he saw it he didn't like it however he said he would talk to Elyse about it. i told him the switchback there sucked having to do so many point turn. he said that is the difficulty of the trail. i said that just plain sucks.. he is worried about the soil being washed away. in their eyes thats money lost for trees to grow there. but at the end of our discussion i think he was ok with us keeping it, maybe we can just hard pack it. i was riding with Aaron to go get the trail closed signs in Andys f-toy, open in the front locked in the rear on boggers and we were not making it up it.. Aaron was damn good not even to spin the tires out, so nothing was tore up. now we did go down it, that was much better then the S turns the little tree on the left coming down right gowing up didn't get in the way however it would be alot better if the little tree in the middle on were taken out...:awesomework:

hey what the heck im locked front and rear, what did he do break my rig. im going to have a talk with that boy......:stirpot::haha:

Going up the switch backs, there's like 10 miles of right turn on the first corner... the 2nd one, if you place your tires right, one shot--no backing up required!!! Coming down is usually only a 2 point turn.
I agree though, people can't seem to be able to leave the trail the way it was originally designed :rolleyes:...That shortcut never used to be an issue with popping up until ...... ......

hey what the heck im locked front and rear, what did he do break my rig. im going to have a talk with that boy......:stirpot::haha:

sorry andy he said you were open front my bad he was having alot of trouble figuring out your twin stick i don't think he went into 4lo and the front really never looked like it was spinning... maybe he never locked your hubs

Going up the switch backs, there's like 10 miles of right turn on the first corner... the 2nd one, if you place your tires right, one shot--no backing up required!!! Coming down is usually only a 2 point turn.
I agree though, people can't seem to be able to leave the trail the way it was originally designed :rolleyes:...That shortcut never used to be an issue with popping up until ...... ......

the sami might have no problems turning but when my group went there we were all doing multi point turns there... even the jeep wrangler, he is stretched out in the front and slightly in the rear but not as long as my toyota... i didn't build the short cut and i have no problem sliding the ass around the tree on the way up but coming down is another story the short cut is awsome!!!!!!!

I can see where longer w.b. will have to make multi-point turns, and it used to be easier coming down, but the low side sluffed a bit, shrinking that corner in the last couple yrs...
I know you didn't make the shortcut Matt :awesomework:---it's been an ongoing issue for the last yr or so. Gonna have to come up with a viable solution at some point for sure...

I run ARB's on both my rigs, so tight corners aren't the issue for me, as they can be for some. If blocking it is the agreed solution:rolleyes:please don't tease the would-be by-passers with logs. Do something more permanent!:awesomework:

With no PS pump its not easy to make those switch backs... im just sayin... :stirpot:

Yes, yes they are.:mad:

I can usually take the bottom one going down in one shot. Hook my rear tire an that tree, give it a little gas, an she spins right around.

That being said, I think this bypass was created because people are looking for more difficulty. It may not have been created by people going up, but its going to be tried an dug out by every semi-built rig going up that trail.

What would I do there? Well, I've had this idea of a cement block stepup obsticle, and that would be a good place for it...:stirpot:

What would I do there? Well, I've had this idea of a cement block stepup obsticle, and that would be a good place for it...:stirpot:

Actually, disregard this. Not a good spot for this.

Unfortunetly, This spot would have to be hardened to be viable IMO. Pretty steep grade...

I run ARB's on both my rigs, so tight corners aren't the issue for me, as they can be for some. If blocking it is the agreed solution:rolleyes:please don't tease the would-be by-passers with logs. Do something more permanent!:awesomework:

Never said blocking it to be the solution...just need to come up with something that will appease the folks that count...if their open to keeping it open.:;

So let me ask a question, How many areas can you pass 6 rigs going in opposite directions?
A lot of by passes are made do to the fact that rigs need to pass each other. I know everyone is going to say that Walker was fine before, but now the population of users has increased. So now the trail system needs to be improved to handle the volume of users

I say find a way to keep the bypass for others aren

problem is charlie, that right below this section, there ARE already two spots that would allow for 6 rigs (or more) to get by each other....and you can see them both while going up or down thru the switchbacks....
EDIT: that said, still doesn't mean it can't be a viable option for those who choose not to follow the original path...need the powers that be to make that decision though...

problem is charlie, that right below this section, there ARE already two spots that would allow for 6 rigs (or more) to get by each other....and you can see them both while going up or down thru the switchbacks....
EDIT: that said, still doesn't mean it can't be a viable option for those who choose not to follow the original path...need the powers that be to make that decision though...

x2 right bellow that switch back the trail is wide and has a split that goes around a small group of trees, plenty of room to pass. infact if you come straight down the bypass you end up taking the second route..
there is 100% no doubt in my mind (not that this matters) that the bypass was made to avoid the switchback... on some of the switchbacks at walker i know i get my rig to the point where i only have oposite corners on the ground (front passanger and rear driver) and i am teatering. this is the only way my rig can get to a point able to even do a 3 or 5 pt turn.....

solution if allowed:
we still have a nice pile of the larger then hand size rock at the begining of the trail. i assume it is the extra from when the work was being done around the bridge on the mainline earlier this year.... if we can get a couple loads of 2" minus from one of the quarries and some of that larger rock we could hard pack that bypass quick and easy.. if DNR is for it and rick is down for using the buggy and trailer he can get around the switchback and we can dump from the top down.. just an idea
:awesomework:

x2 right bellow that switch back the trail is wide and has a split that goes around a small group of trees, plenty of room to pass. infact if you come straight down the bypass you end up taking the second route..
there is 100% no doubt in my mind (not that this matters) that the bypass was made to avoid the switchback... on some of the switchbacks at walker i know i get my rig to the point where i only have oposite corners on the ground (front passanger and rear driver) and i am teatering. this is the only way my rig can get to a point able to even do a 3 or 5 pt turn.....

solution if allowed:
we still have a nice pile of the larger then hand size rock at the begining of the trail. i assume it is the extra from when the work was being done around the bridge on the mainline earlier this year.... if we can get a couple loads of 2" minus from one of the quarries and some of that larger rock we could hard pack that bypass quick and easy.. if DNR is for it and rick is down for using the buggy and trailer he can get around the switchback and we can dump from the top down.. just an idea
:awesomework:

I like this idea, but, then it comes to a point, when do you say enough is enough? We harden this bypass, another one pops up somewhere else, we harden that one, an another one pops up. Pretty soon we are going to have a spider web of hardened bypasses.

Also, if we do rock this, rigs trying to climb it will just throw the hardening material out IMO.

I would rather put our effort somewhere else, like another skills area where the famous Sam roll happened.

But, what do I know, I'm just some punk kid.:haha:

.. if DNR is for it and rick is down for using the buggy and trailer he can get around the switchback and we can dump from the top down..

I'm always down to help but it would be next spring before the buggy will be out on the trails again. If we need to we could rig someone elses wheeler to tow the trailer...