• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Warn 8274 very hard to freespool

jimijam19K

OK, Wes and Brandon just built me a cool winch mount this week.:awesomework: Got'er painted up and winch mounted and the damn thing barely freespools. Bought the winch used and everything else works like it should.

Is this something that happens from time to time with older winches?

What's the remedy? break the whole thing apart and clean/service?

Please share your experiences with this icon of recovery gear:corn:

Most likly is that the mounting holes are just a tiny bit out of square or not flat. Try loosening up the mounting bolts and see if it gets better. I found on mine that it only takes a 1/16 of a inch to cock the winch and put preasure on the ends.

That's the first thing I tried. I'm going to play with it a little more when I get time But I'm thinking maybe something inside gummed up maybe?

take the external brake mechanism and get two cresent wrenches. put one on each side of the clutch housing for the brake and move them in opposite directions some. kinda jimmy it back and forth to get the crud out of the brake. moving them apart make the brake less and moving them together tighten up the brake. they get stuff packed in there and just need freeing up once in a while.

i have to do this every once in a while to mine.

take the external brake mechanism and get two cresent wrenches. put one on each side of the clutch housing for the brake and move them in opposite directions some. kinda jimmy it back and forth to get the crud out of the brake. moving them apart make the brake less and moving them together tighten up the brake. they get stuff packed in there and just need freeing up once in a while.

i have to do this every once in a while to mine.

This. Also pay close attention to the brake rebuild section in the Billavista Pirate article on rebuilding the 8274.

Last edited:
Thanks, all. Was hopeing some routine maintenance would be all I needed. Will get to it once it stops raining and will report back.

Thanks again those who posted. Had dry couple hours first thing this morning and got the brake freed up and now it freespools satisfactorily. Got my winch controls hardwired as well so now I have switches in the cab and on the grill. Couple small things left to do and I'll see everyone at Elbe in the morning.

Thanks again those who posted. Had dry couple hours first thing this morning and got the brake freed up and now it freespools satisfactorily. Got my winch controls hardwired as well so now I have switches in the cab and on the grill. Couple small things left to do and I'll see everyone at Elbe in the morning.

see ya in the am :awesomework: