• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Warn hub problem

quartz

I am trying to replace a Warn hub that is installed on a Dana 44 front axle. It is the internal hub style. I broke the selector knob off last weekend and the hub is stuck in the locked position.
I took the snap ring off the axle and the snap ring off the axle housing but cant pull the hub out. I have tried putting some of the cover screws in the hub to pull on but it wont budge.
Any ideas?

wipe the grease out around the inside of the hub and you will find a large snap ring (3") that fits into a groove machined into the hub. Its this ring that holds the locking hub in when the screws are tightened.

edit: See the big ring in the pic ? Thats most likely your culprit

Attachments

• D44MMRHUBS.jpg
    D44MMRHUBS.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 48
I am trying to replace a Warn hub that is installed on a Dana 44 front axle. It is the internal hub style. I broke the selector knob off last weekend and the hub is stuck in the locked position.
I took the snap ring off the axle and the snap ring off the axle housing but cant pull the hub out. I have tried putting some of the cover screws in the hub to pull on but it wont budge.
Any ideas?

Did you pull out the retaining ring that goes in the inside of the wheel hub?

IF not that, then you need a puller. Take the broken half of the hub, and reverse it (so that it's inside out) and thread all six little bolts in thru the wheel hub so that they engage the (stuck) portion of the lockout hub assembly. Use a socket, or piece of metal, to secure the outer portion of the hub (that's been inverted) away from the hub body. Slowly tighten all six screws and it will draw out the broken hub body like a puller.

Thanks for the help guys, I got it out using a homemade puller.

Last edited:
Nice job. An upside down cap works well in the same application as your hunk of steel. But that was what I had attempted to describe.

Latest posts