• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Warn Premium locking hubs vs Mile Marker premium locking hubs

MoparMan

Are the Warn hubs really worth $40 more? :dunno:

Anybody have experience with both?

Only hubs I've ever had were the standard Warn and Superwinch. The standard Warn's worked fine for me, but they're only $15 cheaper than the premium.

Honestly if you want lock outs fork over the $ for Yukon lockouts. Just google "Yukon lockout hub break/failure" and you will find out why. Buy once cry once. Here is the way I look at it. Is it worth $100 never to break in the middle of a trail or difficult climb? One of mine is a little difficult to unlock sometimes, but I think that is more to do with my hub. Other route would be drive flanges.

MoparMan said:
Are the Warn hubs really worth $40 more? :dunno:

Anybody have experience with both?

Only hubs I've ever had were the standard Warn and Superwinch. The standard Warn's worked fine for me, but they're only $15 cheaper than the premium.

Daily Driver or trailer rig? Axle?

Daily driver D44/D60, the Warn Gold Premiums probably be fine or even overkill. I broke about 10 sets of Warn Golds on my D44 heavy XJ on 36's. Ended up doing the drive flange/lunchbox locker.

Anything I'd actually take a trail that had a number or a name......Yukon/Dynatrac. I've broken a chromoly axle yoke/joint on my D60 with the Yukon lock outs. They still work great and are a breeze to lock/unlock when not bound up. The key to easy lock/unlock on those is to not Superman the allen bolts that hold the face on. Snuggenuff is goodenuff. Painful purchase, great peace of mind.

I hear what you're saying, the Yukons would be nice. But they're $240 more than the Warn premiums.

As far as the drive flanges, it still has the factory ones in it now. This is a daily driver/weekend wheeler is why I'm wanting to go with locking hubs.

I'd go Warn Golds....and carry a spare drive flange for the reverse psychology effect. Be sure to carry the 13 small flat head screwdrivers and picks you'll need to **** out the mushroom'd pieces in case of a breakage.

I broke both mile marker hubs within one minute of each other. Put stock Spicer hubs back in and didn't have a problem. That was in my ranger with tons and an Xj with tons. Both of them stripped the inner gear.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Warn Premium locking hubs vs Mile Marker premium locking hubs

tonybolton said:
Daily Driver or trailer rig? Axle?

Daily driver D44/D60, the Warn Gold Premiums probably be fine or even overkill. I broke about 10 sets of Warn Golds on my D44 heavy XJ on 36's. Ended up doing the drive flange/lunchbox locker.

Anything I'd actually take a trail that had a number or a name......Yukon/Dynatrac. I've broken a chromoly axle yoke/joint on my D60 with the Yukon lock outs. They still work great and are a breeze to lock/unlock when not bound up. The key to easy lock/unlock on those is to not Superman the allen bolts that hold the face on. Snuggenuff is goodenuff. Painful purchase, great peace of mind.
Perfect time stamp and welcome back

tonybolton said:
I'd go Warn Golds....and carry a spare drive flange for the reverse psychology effect. Be sure to carry the 13 small flat head screwdrivers and picks you'll need to **** out the mushroom'd pieces in case of a breakage.

Yeah, I was planning on keeping the stock drive flanges with me.

The front is still open for now, but was thinking about locking it once I do the locking hubs.

Mine always broke under shock loads. Never crawling or undercut stress. It was always when a tire was in the air and came down and/or slid into the side of something while on the gas.

Still say, if you don't want it to break at the most in opportune time go with Yukon or Dynatrac. When I built my tons I had purchased warn premiums. Read up on all the failures they had. Returned them and have beat on the Yukons with out a care. If you insist on going cheaper go Warn instead of the "may make it a mile" marker hubs.

87TPIYJ said:
Still say, if you don't want it to break at the most in opportune time go with Yukon or Dynatrac. When I built my tons I had purchased warn premiums. Read up on all the failures they had. Returned them and have beat on the Yukons with out a care. If you insist on going cheaper go Warn instead of the "may make it a mile" marker hubs.

I understand, if this was a hardcore wheeling rig then I would definitely be looking at something different. Or even if I was swapping to tons. But this is a D44 in a daily driver/weekend wheeler 91 Ramcharger on 35's. I just want to be able to havr the front not spinning the axles 100% of the time, and be able to lock the diffential when I want to.

Re: Re: Warn Premium locking hubs vs Mile Marker premium locking hubs

ranger11 said:
I broke both mile marker hubs within one minute of each other. Put stock Spicer hubs back in and didn't have a problem. That was in my ranger with tons and an Xj with tons. Both of them stripped the inner gear.

The Ranger hubs were more like, within seconds of each other, no where near a minute.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mile Marker Premiums :dblthumb:

I hate any Warn locking hubs, had several sets come apart, not break, just come apart. The retaining ring/ snap ring that hold the internal hub to the spline hub has pushed apart on several different Warn standard and premium set.

I now run Mile Marker SS Premium hubs with zero failures.

So maybe it's related to a different axle size. Example D44

As for a Dana 60 35spline I'm a huge advocate for Warn premiums.

Reason being that when they break they strip the teeth off just the inner half of the apply sleeve. Sometimes will crack the aluminum outer hub in more than one place.

I'd leave the snap rings off that go on the end of the stub shafts because it will allow the stub to float without putting wear and pressure on the inner hub. Less failure

Anyway, when the teeth fail on the apply sleeve, you take it apart and flip it over and put the hub back together with the large apply spring on the outside.

It'll keep the hub engaged permanently until you get back to camp or home to warranty out a new set for FREE.

Plus you can wheel rest of the weekend as if you put a new hub in. Along with the fact that the teeth on the apply sleeve are weaker than a 4340 shaft and stub.

I'd rather explode a hub any trip over exploding an inner axle on the trail.

So there ya go. My feelings and opinion