• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Warn VR8000 won't spool out

tcDawg

This winch is driving me nuts. Needs some help.

Warn VR 8000 with regular solenoids. It stopped spooling out a few months ago. I pulled the solenoid box off and jumpered the motor direct to a battery and was able to confirm that the motor will spool in and out. Figured out which solenoids were the "spool out" and replaced those...still won't f'ing spool out.

I have attached a pic of the solenoid pack. When I I hit the controller to spool it out I get power showing up on every small bolt on every solenoid but no power showing going across the cooper bars. It does not spool out.

When I hit the spool in on the controller I get power going across the copper bars but only show power on two of the small solenoid bolts, the upper left on and the lower right one. It does spool in.

Also, I can jump power and ground to the upper left and lower right solenoids, the small bolts, and the winch will run in. When I do the same to the upper right and lower left solenoids...nothing.

The good news is that the winch will free spool fairly easily and it will spool back in. I just hate to not be able to spool it out and make someone free spool it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_7671.jpg
    IMG_7671.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 198
I'd say the switch/controller may have a broken wire on the load side or some other issue in the controller since you've established it works when you cut the controller out of the circuit

I'd say the switch/controller may have a broken wire on the load side or some other issue in the controller since you've established it works when you cut the controller out of the circuit
The winch motor works when I cut the solenoid pack out of the equation. It won't spool out when I try to jumper the "out" solenoids

Figured it out...there was a short in one of the wires going to my in-cab winch control. Fixed that and all is good

For me it always seems that the issue is somewhere else in the system. Just replaced a electric clutch on my mower to find out that the diode in the middle of the wiring harness was no good. Good that you figured it out.

Latest posts