• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Warn XD9000i Winch Info/Assist

98ZJ4X4

Hi,

My winch started making bad sounds at a work party a while back. I just took it apart and found metal hunks and tons of small particles in the grease. But I can not find where the hunks came from.

I have the winch still apart & would like someone that knows something about these winches to look and provide some guidance before I go ordering parts. I want to fix the winch, but not replace items that are good (I am a cheap asshole)

Anyone within a reasonable distance of Northgate area that would look at my gear train and make recommendations? PM me if your within 30 miles of Northgate and I will bring the winch for you to look at.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. Could be worth a few beers also.

I know I was able to ask some questions online from one of the warn parts places, but I dont know if they would be able to help you any more then that. The one I was chating with seamed very wiiling to help. But I cant find the site right now :(

I would take a look at it for you Ted if you want to bring it out to my place.

but look here http://www.warn.com/store/service_parts.jsp you can find a parts list and see if you have all the parts. It sounds like one of your parts in completely pulverized...

Likes like there are a couple different versions of the XD9000i
http://www.warn.com/truck/ReplacementParts/parts/136/srrpl49-50.pdf
http://www.warn.com/truck/ReplacementParts/parts/223/34590D3.pdf

Thanks Scott,

I have visited the Warn Parts site and printed out the parts lists and photos based upon the serial number. Did that the first time I had it apart.

Took the gears to Nelson Truck this afternoon. They looked at it, printed out the parts list and expoladed view for me (I did not tell them I already had that). They could not see anything wrong, broken or missing so they are no better then I am I guess. I did follow their suggestion and put it all back together and tomorrow I will hook it up and run it again and see what happens.

Dang, I just recalled that Hip told me he had some Warn Gears, so maybe I will get ahold of him this weekend (winch in hand) if there are still problems with it. If that don't work I will PM you to set up a time to stop by your place, again with winch in hand). :awesomework:

Winch is all reassembled, reinstalled and runs very quiet. :cheer: :cheer: Now I need to reinstall the cable and give it a pull test.

I hope it will last at least through the next two months, so no more work party use until after I return from Moab in June. :corn:

it might pull but make sure you also test the brake I am thinking some of the pieces you found are from the brake.

Winch is all reassembled, reinstalled and runs very quiet. :cheer: :cheer: Now I need to reinstall the cable and give it a pull test.

I hope it will last at least through the next two months, so no more work party use until after I return from Moab in June. :corn:

It did its time, we can abuse someone elses winch when needed.

it might pull but make sure you also test the brake I am thinking some of the pieces you found are from the brake.

Well I don't really understand how the brake works, so I have just spent some time reviewing the exploded Parts Digram and parts list. I noted that the parts list Nelson Truck gave me yesterday is different then the one I down loaded from Warn back in Dec.

But after reviewing it, I am 99.999% sure that the hunks of metal could not have come from the Brake Assembly, as that includes the drum and parts at the Motor end of the Drum and there is no way anything that big could travel to the gear end and get into the grease. At least none I can see and yes I did look at the interior of the drum while I had the gear housing off.

Oops needed to add this question.

I am assuming that the brake test would be like pulling the jeep uphill and holding when I stopped the intake. There is a slight hill next to where I store the Jeep and Trailer so I will test it in that manner if you confirm that I am making the correct assumption.

Last edited:
yes when you stop the motor from pulling the rig the winch should hold the rig in place but it may take a bigger hill... if it is not enough weight on the winch line to over come the hold the motor has you will not know if the motor is holding you or it's the brake holding you.

yes when you stop the motor from pulling the rig the winch should hold the rig in place but it may take a bigger hill... if it is not enough weight on the winch line to over come the hold the motor has you will not know if the motor is holding you or it's the brake holding you.

Well I guess I could rig it up on a near by tree, but then the Huggers would be after me.....:fawkdancesmiley:

Thanks Scott, I will let you know how it works out, but it will be a few days as I am a carpet remover, mattress, box springs to the dump and then sand hauler to both daughters homes for the next three days

Ted, cheap asshole or not, please don't go to moab without making damn sure your winch is 100% up to snuff---:eeek:

Ted, cheap asshole or not, please don't go to moab without making damn sure your winch is 100% up to snuff---:eeek:

I have only used the winch for hauling logs at work parties, so whats the big deal??

Also I will be going to the Rubicon either before or after Moab, I am more concerned about needing the winch there then in Moab, never seen anyplace it was needed there last year. :fawkdancesmiley: