• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Website Design for small business

Crhall

Seeing if anyone can give me some input on this. Right now I have a very outdated web page hosted by godaddy that some high school kid did for me years ago. basically just contact info. I'm trying to find someone that can help design, update my site. How do I even go about finding the right person to do this? Do I try find a local company to work hand in hand with. Or one of these guys that advertise over the web that builds your site while sitting in there basement. I don't need anything fancy, Its not a site that I need to have "add to cart" for selling. its strictly for advertising. I just want to get it updated and would love to able to do small things to it myself, (ad pictures, updates, new products), But that may not be an option if its too complicated. Might just have to get with a web builder that will manage the site month after month. Anyone familiar with this type of situation that may have some advice for me?

I agree on the Wordpress, it's a very easy platform to work with and has a surprising level of customization, and the software stays up to date.

And much of it you can do yourself without having to be a code genius. You just need to have good taste in how you lay out your content, how things are found, and the general overall aesthetics.

I looked a bit into Wordpress, I would have to spend some time really playing around with it to get familiar with it. it looks doable thats for sure. But some of you are way more advance on a computer than me. I did find a local guy i may talk to. Need to get the details if i do have someone else do it. Like is it just an anual rate i pay them to keep the site going? What about small changes to to site, does he have to do everything to it after he builds it? Or could i go in change (add) a product real quick if needed. I'll check zeroto60 also. Matt the new site for the park looks great, I'd be happy with something like that, Wordpress had lots of different themes to choose from. I tried to play with some samples but need to spend little more time with it before i feel comfortable enough to spend money on a package.

I've done several from small businesses in the past. I typically charged between $75-85/hour for development (depending on how much of a pain the ass i expected them to be). The most common complaint I heard from customers about site developers were they never delivered on the site or didnt listen. If you hire someone, pay the money for a reputable firm. When I did development site design was fee and ongoing content management was a separate (optional) recurring fee. My maintenance fees were for 5-10 hours a quarter (depending on the site size) at a heavily discounted rate (~$40/hour) if i built the site. Those hours were use or lose and most never had enough content change to use up their hours. Anything over those hours I submitted a proposal for lump sum development cost as it typically was a template change or complete content change.

WordPress is the way to go for most sites. Most sites aren't that difficult to manage after they are developed. If you are comfortable with a computer then pay someone to do development and do maintenance yourself.

You'll need to get them to quote you a build price, that's to build it and walk away. Then ask for an annual service plan which typically will cover a certain amount of hours maintenance a month. That way if you run into a problem, they are on the hook for 5 hours of work as part of your payment plan. And ask what the hourly will be once you go over 5 hours.

Then ask what it would be if you just called him when you needed him, hourly rate (which the monthly contract hourly should be lower than this hourly, if not tell him it needs to be).

Part of the build contract needs to include you as an administrator, and that you are involved in the design and organization. If they are building it for you, make sure it's a platform that you can learn and work within. That way as you watch it build, you can pick up a few things for minor edits and things, then if you need a major code change you can have him do it.

Most of these people like to build them for $$, but it's the ongoing service contract that nets them big money as they get X-amount of hours work, and many times you won't even use it.