• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

weld on beadlocks question

popcancherokee

I bought some beadlocks rims that the guy welded the inner beadlock rings on and he tested and no leaks.but his welds are uneven higher in spots should I grind them down or will the bead be OK how it is.or should I mount them and if no Leaks go with it.thanks
IMG_20130527_144916_682.jpg

IMG_20130527_144938_132.jpg

IMG_20130527_144947_406.jpg

IMG_20130527_150456_959.jpg

Last edited:
I ground mine down smooth cause I wanted an even smooth surface and wanted them as balanced as possible..they have never leaked..if you grind them down and there are pinholes or cold spots just weld them again. I divided mine into 16 sections and moved around the wheel evenly. I wouldnt weld more than 3" at a time

grinding a weld off is like grinding strength off.

When trusting someone elses welding, I would want all the strength I could get.

Mine are not ground. I did a rim like that once and Bob and Tina laughed at me.

If theres a booger or sharpie or marbles, sure. But dont grind smoooth!

****, last week I hooked a winch to my beadlock ring and pulled the rig sideways off the rocks. No worries.

OK thanks everyone...the guy that welded it is a certified welder (thats what i was told)and is a black smith by trade.and another question should I install a anti coneing ring ?if so any pics of anyone that has made there own.thanks

I would do the anti coneing ring....it looks like **** if you dont....plus its easy...ask one of the vendors on here to cut you some...that's what I would do ...

I didn't do anti coning rings when I had my Creepy Crawlers on weld on beadlocks.

No problems at all. It's a cosmetic thing. All the weld on locks we have done in the shop don't have anti coning rings on them. No problems what so ever. :awesomework:

Im cheap, Im lazy and Im half assed, and I like anti coning rings.

Once you have had them, you will get them each time.

I put my beadlocks on YEARS ago and have NEVER ever touched the bolts since the day they went together.

Bobby Long was an innovator, theres a reason he came up with the anti coning ring years ago. It works well.

I just grind some of the high spots down and leave the rest of the weld as is. Slip tire over wheel, smear silicone on the weld area, let set up and then bolt the outer ring on. No leaks.\
1/8x1/2" or 1/8x3/4" flat bar works good for anticone rings, Im pretty sure its what bobby uses as well. Just tack weld every couple inches as you bend it around the ring. It is cosmetic thing, but also cheap to do.