• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

welder tubing bender and notcher

cameron_garrison

ok so im getting ready to order some tools looking for some good sites and advise on what ones youd get i like lincon for welders thats what i have experience with it will be 220 power what ever i get thanks in advance
cameron

Last edited:
Harbor frieght owns all :flipoff:

seriously though, buy something relativaly local, support local buisness, at the same time as shopping around. the whole local thing is awesome for Tech support/warranty stuff. i had a fitting break in my Tig welded on the water cooled torch, i not only got a replacement, but an upgraded replacement worth 70 bucks more, since i bought the whole machine from em. :cool:

What I *would* get?

MM251
ProTools HD105 + home brewed hydro and stand
ProTools notcher, the $300 one, with needle bearings and adjustable offset.

What I *did* get...

MM175: needs mo power, but gets most jobs done.
Some old protools or knockoff bender with porta-power hydro - works...
Harbor Freight notcher: PATHETIC PIECE OF ****

MarcW said:
seriously though, buy something relativaly local, support local buisness, at the same time as shopping around. the whole local thing is awesome for Tech support/warranty stuff.
I think I agree with that, but in my experience, it matters less what you actually buy, but pick a welding supply store and stick to it. More than most kinds of shops, those guys really seem to treat repeat customers well.

War-Jeeper said:
I got my stuff from central welding by the way! Man those guys are awesome!
Which one? The're right decent at the new one between Monroe and Woodinville, but not so sure about the one in Everett...

War-Jeeper said:
I got my stuff from central welding by the way! Man those guys are awesome!

I like central in Everett but man have I ever spent a lot of money there. I can easily run up $1000 a month on my acount if I'm busy. Good products and good people.

Avoid harbor freight like the plague, you get what you pay for.

I would also avoid stellar industrial only because they never have what I need.

The only thing i have to add is the JD2 aluminum notcher is a total POS. Stay way away from it. My old Harbor Freight notcher was better. Really.

i am personally buying a miller, just because it has smooth action dials for temp and speed so u can dial it in just perfect.

CrustyJeep said:
Which one? The're right decent at the new one between Monroe and Woodinville, but not so sure about the one in Everett...

I like the one on highway 99 in lynwood, hehehe i get a discount though for being in a welding program in school

heres what im thinking the lincon powermig 215
not sure yet on bender http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=434&cat=189&page=1 or the one from jd2
and for nothcher http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=206&cat=90&page=1 i know expensive but you get what you pay for it notches up to 100 degrees i remember haveing to nothch 60 degrees by hand when i was in chassis fab it freaking sucked plus you get a perfect notch every time so what do you guys think
i will be buying locally just not sure were to go

I have the MM 175 gonna upgrade to a MM 251
Also have Pro-Tools HD 105 lovin it, just need to set up a hydro assembly
Couldn't afford tubing notcher, so I am using my drill press with a Titanium bolt, it was a 12 point, but I cut the head off and cut it back to about 5 threads to fit the Lennox bi-metal hole saws,, I really don't want to wast 50.00 on a harbor frite POS notcher!! I will buy the Pro-Tools notcher as soon as I can afford it, but I had to spend that cash on steel!!!

With the MM 175, I can easily weld thicker than it's spec'd 1/4" I just have to bevel my material, preheat material, and run multiple passes... J.

i have a millermatic 210 gmaw. 251 would be nice but i think this is perfect, right in the middle of the 175 and 251. i run a pro-tools 105-HD bender with an electric hydraulic setup and it works awesome. can bend .188 no problem. and i've got the JD2 aluminum notcher. i hear crap about it but it works fine for me so far. i would've liked to get the JMR, but couldn't afford it at the time, may end up with it someday. i prefer morse hole saws when it comes to notching. i havent found any luck with lenox or milwaukee compared to the morse. like butter through tube with a 1/2" milwaukee drill and a morse hole saw. what size dies are some of you guys runnin? im runnin 1 5/8" because 1.5 looks kinda small and 1.75 looks big to me. i like the look of 1 5/8 and no one runs it.

mpst mane one are no p[roblem what you want to stay away from is one that has a alum in the main transfomer the burn up to fast

as slaesman and then get it in writting that is has a copper core

i have a miller matic 135 and it does up to 3/8 if you use 2 passes

MM 175
JD2 model3
ol joint jigger notcher

would like to have gone with

mm 210 or 251 but why what the 175 cannot weld the ol cracker box can
JD2 model4 OUCH on the cost difference and building what lil I due no thanks.
a fancy notcher, why been running the joint jigger for years and it works.

it all works for me. Yes there is better out there but for what I due its all good, all bought local and made in the USA

looks like i got my welder its a miller 210 comes with 2 tanks one has the gas for aluminum there not rental tanks and the other for steel full spool of steel wire 450 dollar aluminum spool gun and a miller helmet for 2200 things been used on 2 small projects some welding on a aluminum boat and a fifth wheel tailgate its coming from my fiance grandpa