• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Welding AL with Miller 175

as long as the trigger pigtail is the same, should be good. 175 isnt much machine for GMAW AL start and stops. should work though. it will be a technique thing. I think (little small right now :D) strait Argon, and ya should be good to go.

Looks like good info Marc.

Last time I talked to a dealer, year or so ago, he said the spool gun would fit, but it would fry the board since it wasn't set up for a spool gun like the 180 was.

Maybe that kit in the last post you made might fix that?

just get a spool of aluminum and switch your gas to argon. i welded aluminum all the time through the machine with my 250 simply because the spool gun sucked ass.

but just remember, like blacknblue said, clean the hell out of the material, make your aluminum as clean as an operating table otherwise it will blow out and fill with porosity.

To kinda highjack this a little but keep it on topic, I have a problem with getting good gas coverage with my spool gun. Has anyone used a tri gas before rather then pure argon? I get schooled every day by a 50+ year welder/pipe fitter and this is what he said to do.

Save your money and buy a tig, wire feeding aluminum sucks. Welds are usually weak and no control

i use 25%helium75%argon on our mig..welds beautiful. 75%helium25%argon on our tig. the helium will make a huge difference in your welds. nothing wrong with using a mig if its setup correct way faster....

i use 25%helium75%argon on our mig..welds beautiful. 75%helium25%argon on our tig. the helium will make a huge difference in your welds. nothing wrong with using a mig if its setup correct way faster....

Thank you, thats what I was getting at. :awesomework:

Wait long enough and your bound to get the answer you want :;

Dude, I was asking what gas would work betting to make my current setup work for me. I know a TIG welder works, I have done lots of TIG work with other peoples machines and trust me I dream about owning one but right now I cant buy one for myself... If you would like me to explain why in detail then shoot me a PM.

Sorry that I get a little fired up about comments like yours but in my position they are worthless. If my question was hey guys I got 5 grand burning a hole in my pocket then I would have enjoyed reading your post. I have heared you are a smart guy so dont make yourself sound stupid... speacialy on the web where you can be anyone you want. :fawkdancesmiley:

thats what i was thinking maverick...i welded most of light poles and bases around safeco field and would've hated it with a tig. the angle seems to be fairly critical.... maybe not like a text book or a teacher may have taught...

Dude, I was asking what gas would work betting to make my current setup work for me. I know a TIG welder works, I have done lots of TIG work with other peoples machines and trust me I dream about owning one but right now I cant buy one for myself... If you would like me to explain why in detail then shoot me a PM.

Sorry that I get a little fired up about comments like yours but in my position they are worthless. If my question was hey guys I got 5 grand burning a hole in my pocket then I would have enjoyed reading your post. I have heared you are a smart guy so dont make yourself sound stupid... speacialy on the web where you can be anyone you want. :fawkdancesmiley:

Sorry didnt mean to get your panties in a bunch.. I only speak from experience

:beer:

Let me know if you need anything tig welded up. I would be happy to help!

Last edited:
x2 on the angle being slightly critical..and to the other guy talking about gas coverage make sure you are pushing the puddle, otherwise you suck O2 into there and get the assload of carbon buildup

Save your money and buy a tig, wire feeding aluminum sucks. Welds are usually weak and no control

if ya tune it right theres nothing wrong with GMAW AL. I weld both at my job and theres a proper place and purpose for both. both hold up great with the proper steps of cleaning and scrapeing away some of the oxides ontop. AL sprayarc gets great penitration.

Edit: oh and btw at my shop we still run straight up Argon for all our AL aps. big ol lab quality Cryo liquid tank to be exact

Last edited: