• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what do you sharpen your chainsaw chain with?

my neighbor ran a cedar mill for 30 years. he laughed at me sharpening my saw one day. he said the key to a killer chain is to count the strokes and repeat the same number on the opposite side teeth. I always wonderd why my saw always cut curves. the power tool is hard to tell if your even on both sides.

You also need to push the file in the right direction one way for the left teeth and one way for the right teeth and count the strokes. I also look for the worst looking tooth to get my stroke count.

By the way If I use my saw for like 2 or more hours I resharpen the blade so if I am cutting all day I may sharpen the chain 3 or 4 time during the day. I like it when the saw does the work and not me. :awesomework:

Same Here Round File, In The Rite Direction And Dont Forget About The Rakes, You Can Have The Sharpest Chain In The World But If It Dosnt Touch The Wood It Does No Good! So Shave Them!!!!

filingkits2.gif

fileguides.gif

Most of my chains get round filed for ease with the above tools. Touch the chain up every tank of gas and at the end of every day. Roughly the same # of strokes on every tooth but if you have to work one tooth down more strokes cause it got nailed, it won't effect a damn thing. Hand steady and straight through, constantly rotate the file because they clog. Then check rakers to make sure they're always in spec. Also rakers need more filing in the last half of the tooth than the first half because the angle of cut changes slightly. Replace files often (they're cheap). And yes, you can most certainly get it to cut better than new.

Square filing with a goofy file is a bit harder but will out cut round filed by 10% or so easily. Will get dull quicker though if there's ANY dirt.

Cut clean wood, don't cut all the way through to dirt, and your chains will stay sharp far longer.

If you must cut dirty wood, use Stihl RM chain to keep your sanity.

If you must, get a good chain grinder that operates at a constant angle. The one from Northern Tool is great if you do the shim mod to keep both sides consistent. As for dremels, unless you have one helluva jig setup you'll **** things up far more than help :cool:

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestions and thoughts. i opted to take them to the husky shop not far from home and have them sharpened. so ill pick them all up tomorrow,and buy a couple round files and the holder thingy and start doin it myself after this..now i just need some wood!!!

My dad has one of them commercial sharpening machines. I own 4 chains. I take them up to him, he sharpens them in about 10min each. They cut like a MOFO. :cool:

duvall auto parts, sharp as hell, was using the sultin saw shop till they closed, posative my chains are are better now, my husky is hungry as ****, it will stall the clutch:beer:

Out of practice but sittin there with my chainsaw is 4 chains, I switch them out with a fresh sharpened chain after each camping trip. This way even if we had a decent fire all weekend, and I was the only one with a saw, I at least always had a fresh chain on hand.