• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What drivetrain for Samurai buggy?

CheapJ7

Mustache rides?
If I end up keeping the Sammy buggy, I plan on doing a drivetrain swap.

It's an awesome setup now but I just need a little more wheel speed for the slick stuff.

Current setup is built tracker 1.6 8 valve, sammy 5 speed, and sammy case with 6:5:1's

I have a low mile 3rz 2.7 tacoma motor, but its mated to a prerunner auto.
option 1 -- use that tranny, spend $700 on inchworm adapter, mate it to gear drive yota cases. nice setup but lota coin.

option 2-- go with w56 5 speed tranny from 3rd gen toyota mated to gear drive cases. problem is tacoma auto ecu hates manual trannys. A few wiring issues to work out, as well as swap in tacoma pedals/clutch slave and master cylinder.

or what about selling my tacoma motor and trans and going with another option.

My criteria is reliable, somewhat light weight, reasonable availability/price, power

some ideas.

vortec 4.3/ turbo 350/ dana 300 with 4:1 or yota cases maybe an atlas.

I'm really just feeling out ideas now. What do you guys think?

I'd consider a 22re if someone had one ready to run at a good price. :afro:

Re: Re: What drivetrain for Samurai buggy?

And with the woopow upgrades, what's the plan on the axle dept?

If you choose a GM engine, I would suggest going with a TH350/205 has factory adapter easy to find. Proven strength and have the ability to swap into a larger / higher hp rig in the future if you choose. Gearing is a little high with the 205 but not too bad.
Tons of engine options. 4.3, 4.8, 5.3,5.7,6.0 yada yada yada.
The TH350,Dana 300 combo is small and light. A 7004 to 208 adapter will bolt to a TH350 and a Dana 300 will bolt to the 208 adapter. Only a spud shaft from AA is needed to close the gap.
I know everyone does the GM engine trans combo but you cannot argue the parts availability and aftermarket support.

Rokcrler said:
And with the woopow upgrades, what's the plan on the axle dept?

Ive got 30 spline longs, cryoed 5.29's, detroit, 6 shooters, arp studs all around, chromo hub gears. Let it eat son!

pu3a2usu.jpg

Yeah I got all that too.. Look what I can do :****:

I'll buy that built 1.6... I just blew my 1.3 on backdoor tonight... It's the same as at home.... No backdoor for me! :****:

I have been there and done all the combos! i have the 4.3 v6, th350, 2 toyota cases, i have the best **** money can buy in my toyota axles, and they will not take any abuse at all! I have to drive it like i got a egg under the gas pedal or **** breaks! but it does have the 37 red krawlers, there was a white sammy buggy at Hale Mtn last weekend with tons and 39'' tires, he had a 1.6 with a t25 turbo, that was the ticket! he came up the waterfall and it flat out got it! maybe someone that knows him will chime in, but it had plenty of woopoow! and was still very light weight

I had a 22r in a samurai buggy and wouldn't do it again. 22rs are great - if you buy a mini truck and it has one in it already.

For the length, go V8, or for fitment, go 4.3. If I did it again, I'd go 4.3, th350, stock geared d300.

CheapJ7 said:
I have a low mile 3rz 2.7 tacoma motor, ............... problem is tacoma auto ecu hates manual trannys.

Says who? I did a 3RZ swap on my old 84' xtra cab and used the engine and ECU from a '99 prerunner automatic mated to a g52 5spd. It's got about 60K miles on the swap now and has ran perfect since the minute it fired up. It throws a code for the shift solenoids but it doesn't effect the way it runs at all. It gets around 20mpg with 35's and has a ton of power.

I have a 3RZ in my 4runner, and the next rig I build will have one as well. They are awesome motors. HUGE improvement from a 22RE. They might not have as much hp and torque as a 4.3, but there is no comparison on the seat of the pants dyno. The 3RZ is super responsive and every 4.3 that I've ever drove has been a slug.

I don't care to help you build a stand alone harness if you decide to go with the 3RZ. thumb.gif

zukimaster said:
I have been there and done all the combos! i have the 4.3 v6, th350, 2 toyota cases, i have the best **** money can buy in my toyota axles, and they will not take any abuse at all! I have to drive it like i got a egg under the gas pedal or **** breaks! but it does have the 37 red krawlers, there was a white sammy buggy at Hale Mtn last weekend with tons and 39'' tires, he had a 1.6 with a t25 turbo, that was the ticket! he came up the waterfall and it flat out got it! maybe someone that knows him will chime in, but it had plenty of woopoow! and was still very light weight

This man ^^^ speaks the truth!

bluetoy said:
I don't care to help you build a stand alone harness if you decide to go with the 3RZ. thumb.gif

And I second the 3rz's response and power. The 3rz in my old SAS'd Tacoma done exceptionally well turning 36" TSL's with only 4:88's and stock t-case.

t25 turbo is all you need! cxracing.com has everything you nee. CHEAP! just have to build a turbo header. I also have a buddy that will put it all together for you here in russellville al

I was planning on a Supercharged 3800 from a 97 GTP and a 7004R before I sold mine.